I'm The Mom That Makes The Treats But...

Decorating By ebear Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 6:34pm by dandelion56602

ebear Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 16

Hi all..now that school has started I'm the mom that makes the treats/cakes for my daughters class. Usually for the holidays...BUT this year there is a child in her class that has severe peanut allergies among others.
I really still want to make cakes etc for the kids in her class but I'm so scared of this child getting some kind of a reaction to something I've made. So I guess what I'm asking is...should I just forget about doing things like this for this year.. icon_sad.gif or are there any sure fire recipes out there for cakes, chocolate etc that have no dairy and no peanuts???
Ahhhhhhhhh..I so enjoy doing this for the kids and would be disappointed if I couldn't... icon_sad.gif

15 replies
PinkZiab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 16

It has little to do with the recipe, but rather if you have ANY peanut product in your home that could cause traces of allergens to possibly come in contact with the food, a seriously allergic person could have a reaction. You could make a 100% peanut free recipe, but if you made a PB sandwich for your daughter on the counter and maybe some traces of peanut oil were left, and that's where you decide to roll and cut your peanut-free sugar cookies, well that could be a HUGE problem.

Deb_ Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 16

I think this is why a lot of schools are putting a policy in place about not bringing baked goods in for the kids birthday's. I know of a few towns in my area that have done this. Here in my town, they have a separate lunchroom table for the kids with peanut allergies, even at the high school level.

I'm surprised that some airlines are still serving those honey roasted peanuts.....some people with serious peanut allergies only have to smell the peanut to have a reaction. I think that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I'm afraid to advise you on this subject......it's definitely a tough call. I would speak with the school or the child's parent, and see what they think.

ceshell Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 16

Can you ask the mother how severe the allergy is, with regard to cross-contamination issues and how she would feel about the risks involved in your preparing peanut-free treats in a home where peanut products are otherwise stored?? Seems like she would be the best source.

I have a friend who is gluten-intolerant but she is not so severely sensitive that she cannot eat gluten-free goods that I prepare for her in my otherwise flour-filled home. Of course peanut intolerances are usually much more potent.

Are other food products supplied by other moms throughout the year e.g. snacks, etc.? Because the fact that you are providing baked goods shouldn't be relevant; other moms would face the same risks bringing in any kind of food or snack unless they are prepackaged and labeled as free of the offending ingredients.

I'd clear the whole concept w/the mom. Then no matter what decision you make you will feel comfortable that it is the right one.

beth2027 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 16

I had a child in a class one time that was very allergic to peanuts, most other nuts along with milk and eggs. Because of this her mother packed all her snacks, lunches, etc.
But in the event we had a special party, we let the mother know and she would either bring something special for the child, or we would request that the items to the party have ingredients listed on them.
But like was previously mentioned, talk with the mother.
I was the diabetic child (in the days when diabetics couldn't have ANY sugar) and at the parties, teachers usually had stuff put up for me, or the parents would even bring me something special and different.

keljo05 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:03am
post #6 of 16

I agree, speak with the mom. One of my good friends has a son with severe allergies. She sends him to school with treats he can eat when others are eating potentially dangerous foods.

imakecakes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:05am
post #7 of 16

My kid's cannot take peanut butter or any peanut products to lunch due to allergies.. It is banned in the school altogether. I think someone in school has such severe allergies that the school is doing it to cover themselves. Either that, or a parent complained about their child being seperated at lunch b/c of her allergy and made a stink about it. The rumors abound.....

Sadly, I wouldn't take a chance with bringing in homemade treats.

MrsLev557 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #8 of 16

My bf has 4 kids with several allergies, she always gives a supply of snacks to the teacher to have. Her children are 5 (triplets) & 7, and the kids have always understood the allergies they have from a very young age because of how severe they are. They can not eat or even touch certain things. They made it thru preschool last year with out a problem and always looked forward to the special snack mom had packed.

I agree talk to the mom, she might do the same thing for her child.

BabyBear3 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:16am
post #9 of 16

as a teacher -- i had a child with deadly peanut allergies. our school has asked that all treats be store bought so that all of the ingredients are listed on the package. Depending on how nice the mom is, I could usually call the mom and tell her that a birthday treat was being brought in and it was a cupcake/cookie and her mom would make her her own special treat so that she did not feel left out. that kept me from worrying about cross contamination and it kept the parents of the bday child from feeling nervous about a reaction. I would ask the mom of the child if she could send osmething in similar for the child. Most parents will understand.

As far as the banning of pb in schools -- i did not realize that htye could do that. That is nearly impossible to make sure that no peanut butter is brought into the lunch room. we just made sure that if anyone had anything that could possibly react -- they did not sit next to the child. I"m very surprised to hear that a schools has BANNED something. I did not know they could legally do that.

sparklynne Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:19am
post #10 of 16

I am the same way. I provide the treats via my business for my son's class and he too has a child in the class with special dietary needs. We came to a compromise by me contacting the school and the parent and asking which treats were acceptable for the child. Often times I end up purchasing a mass produced treat (ie brand name) from a local grocery store so that the parent doesn't have to worry about it and the parent is thankful to me for asking and taking the time to provide her child with a safe substitute. It all depends upon what you are willing to do. Good luck with this icon_smile.gif

curliesue26 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:25am
post #11 of 16

I have a son who is allergic to peanuts...each exposure to peanuts increases the severity of the reaction. The last 4 times he was exposed to nuts (not just peanuts) we were in the hospital for days. It is very frightening for the child (my son was 17 with his last attack), and equally frightening for everyone around. I am also an RN and have seen the effects of severe food allergies...I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the treat if I had an allergy to one of the ingredients.

Please - don't put that child at risk.

282513 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #12 of 16

Maybe you can call the mom of the child. My close friends children have allergies and she sends them in their own treats if she knows that there will be treats. That way they don't feel left out.

ebear Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:41am
post #13 of 16

Hi everyone..Thanks for all of your responses. Its given me alot to think about...

Thanks again.. icon_smile.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:03am
post #14 of 16

That is a tough call & definitely one you have to make on your own.

But I was just wondering - where did all these peanut allergies come from? One of the school's near our city actually banned peanuts without talking to the parents about it - just sent a letter home on the first day of school (last year I think) and the parents went nuts (no pun intended!).

But it seems like...I don't know, I don't ever remember all of these allergies, especially deadly peanut allergies, when I was younger...

ebear Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:53am
post #15 of 16

Hi..I agree. Back when I was a kid allergies like this were unheard of. All we brought to school was p.b sandwiches. My sister had allergies to peanuts growing up but it was never severe and she could eat p.b
I will probably talk to the mom about it and see what she says. If not I'll think of other things I can do for the kids over the holidays..

dandelion56602 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:34pm
post #16 of 16

I too have this issue in my dd's class. Most of the parents don't mind you asking & they may ask for a list of ingredients. In my experience the parents are sooo use to it that they always send snacks for their child & the child is so use to it that they don't think twice about it. Parents are usually good to educate their children to what they can and cannot eat too. As a paretn we're required to send snack for the entire class at my dd's school & the kids just know, but always have a backup. Don't be afraid to talk to the parents, they really appreciate you showing concern to try to include their child. (Now some have gotten snippy & just said no they'd provide---I understand but don't get attitude)

Quote by @%username% on %date%