Question For Fitness Peeps

Lounge By michellenj Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 3:50am by mkolmar

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 5

I'm a runner, usually try to run 20-30 miles per week and cross train on the elliptical or take a spin class on Mondays, and my hips have been bothering me. Do you think it's better to run more days of the week for a shorter distance, or is it better to save it up and do a couple long runs and a couple of short ones?

4 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:23am
post #2 of 5

What are you running on? That has a lot to do with joint pain. Also, how are your running shoes? They are only good for on average 300 miles or so.
I use to run a lot. My short days were 4-8 miles and my long days were 8-16 miles. I would only not run on Sundays. It's been years and my hips are awful as well as my knees. I'm no longer allowed to run icon_cry.gif and I'm only 30. If the hip pain continues go to your doctor. I would hate to see you have hip issues like I'm getting.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:05am
post #3 of 5

I'm sorry to hear about your hips and knees! That really stinks. I love running and would flip out if I was told that I had to stop.

My shoes are very important to me. I only wear them like 250 miles or so, and get new ones. I can totally feel when they wear out, just by the way that my knees feel. Once, I tried a different brand, and my toe started to hurt and the nail turned black and fell off. Just in time for sandal season. It's still not right.

I run outside about 90% of the time. What do you think?

IMO, my 11# ds's delivery messed me up. I never, ever had a problem until he came along.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 5

Do you have a running store that can evaluate your run and recommend shoes for you? Swimming is a good cross training activity because it's easy on the joints, especially hips. And yes, I bet delivering a big baby had a lot to do with it. If you can find a good chiropractor or doctor of osteopathy, you'd probably be better off than a regular DR. A regular DR might order xrays and end up just having you take painkillers, which doesn't really solve the problem.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #5 of 5

Go see a really good running shoe store and have them evaluate your run as koolaidstains recommended. I'm not sure if that will help or not. You may need to go see a doctor.
If your hips are bothering you that bad something is for sure going on.
Keep us posted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%