New Us Citizen?

Decorating By Rexy Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm by lflowermoon

Rexy Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 12

I'm out of ideas. I need to do a cake for a lady who lived in South Africa and is becoming a us citizen, anything?

11 replies
beth2027 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 12

You could just do the standard red white and blue cake. Or you could look up the flag for South Africa and do a cake with both flags to represent past and present.
Although I am not sure of the circumstance of her leaving her home country, if you know and it was for reasons that she might not want to be remined of, I would say just do the red, white and blue.

Honeydukes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 12

A flag would be perfect. You could add the United States Oath of Citizenship either piped or printed on a frosting sheet.

millermom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 12

I don't know that this is a big help, but when a friend of mine got her citizenship, I made her an apple pie. ("As American as mom and apple pie...")

Maybe that will get you thinking along lines outside the box?

DesignsByMandie Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #5 of 12

Hmmm....I think the American Flag would be a good idea too. I would be afraid of her reasons for leaving like beth2027 said. Or you could do a book of some sort that is very American...I had an idea and POOF it just left...sorry I'm not to much help!!!

beth2027 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:23am
post #6 of 12

Oh, I had another idea! What about doing a cake that is like an open scroll that looks like the Declaration of Independence? I've seen sugar cookies done in this way and I don't see why it couldn't be converted to a cake.

playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:43am
post #7 of 12

I've been trying since I first saw this post to come up with something which is not stereotypical.

When a person takes the oath of citizenship here, it is often called "adopting their new country." How about adoption cake, where the citizens of the USA adopt her! Like a cake mentioning the newest member of our American family.

I know, I know - corny. Sorry, naturalization is an emotional thing for me. I can remember seeing my grandparents taking the oath. I tried.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Narie Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:45am
post #8 of 12

How about an Uncle Sam Wants You as either an edible image or a fbct. Only as a US Citizen instead of an Army recruit.

grama_j Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 12

How about a "house cake" on top of a sheet cake, saying "welcome home"........ just stick with the red-white-and blue theme... I think it would be cute ....

BitsnBites Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 12

How about something with the statue of liberty (ellis island)? Something along the lines of "Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free..."

Rexy Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 12

Wow! You guys came up with great ideas! As it turned out, the lady didn't want anything fancy, so I just did a flag in a Cakery sort of fashion. I think it turned out pretty cute considering it was somewhat plain.
Thanks for all the help!

lflowermoon Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 12

What about combining BOTH flags? Using only American details seems to underline that she is giving up her country...

Quote by @%username% on %date%