New Us Citizen?

Decorating By Rexy Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm by lflowermoon

Rexy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 12

I'm out of ideas. I need to do a cake for a lady who lived in South Africa and is becoming a us citizen, anything?

11 replies
 beth2027  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 12

You could just do the standard red white and blue cake. Or you could look up the flag for South Africa and do a cake with both flags to represent past and present.
Although I am not sure of the circumstance of her leaving her home country, if you know and it was for reasons that she might not want to be remined of, I would say just do the red, white and blue.

Honeydukes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 12

A flag would be perfect. You could add the United States Oath of Citizenship either piped or printed on a frosting sheet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_citizenship_(United_States)

millermom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 12

I don't know that this is a big help, but when a friend of mine got her citizenship, I made her an apple pie. ("As American as mom and apple pie...")

Maybe that will get you thinking along lines outside the box?

DesignsByMandie  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #5 of 12

Hmmm....I think the American Flag would be a good idea too. I would be afraid of her reasons for leaving like beth2027 said. Or you could do a book of some sort that is very American...I had an idea and POOF it just left...sorry I'm not to much help!!!

beth2027  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:23am
post #6 of 12

Oh, I had another idea! What about doing a cake that is like an open scroll that looks like the Declaration of Independence? I've seen sugar cookies done in this way and I don't see why it couldn't be converted to a cake.

playingwithsugar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:43am
post #7 of 12

I've been trying since I first saw this post to come up with something which is not stereotypical.

When a person takes the oath of citizenship here, it is often called "adopting their new country." How about adoption cake, where the citizens of the USA adopt her! Like a cake mentioning the newest member of our American family.

I know, I know - corny. Sorry, naturalization is an emotional thing for me. I can remember seeing my grandparents taking the oath. I tried.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Narie  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:45am
post #8 of 12

How about an Uncle Sam Wants You as either an edible image or a fbct. Only as a US Citizen instead of an Army recruit. http://www.sonofthesouth.net/uncle-sam/uncle-sam-wants-you.htm

grama_j  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 12

How about a "house cake" on top of a sheet cake, saying "welcome home"........ just stick with the red-white-and blue theme... I think it would be cute ....

BitsnBites  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 12

How about something with the statue of liberty (ellis island)? Something along the lines of "Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free..."

Rexy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 12

Wow! You guys came up with great ideas! As it turned out, the lady didn't want anything fancy, so I just did a flag in a Cakery sort of fashion. I think it turned out pretty cute considering it was somewhat plain.
Thanks for all the help!

lflowermoon  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lflowermoon Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 12

What about combining BOTH flags? Using only American details seems to underline that she is giving up her country...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%