Grooms Cakes???

Decorating By HannahLass Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm by HannahLass

HannahLass Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 8

I'm just confused about the whole grooms cake thing. Before logging on here for the first time I'd never heard of them. Is this a largely American thing? I'm in the UK and though I havent been to that many weddings I've asked around the office (oh yes always working lol) and though someone had heard of them they dont seem all that popular over here. Unless In the deep dark North of England our little corner of the world we just aren't sophisticated enough lol.
What is the purpose of them and where and when did the tradition start?
I would just like someone to explain to me as I don't like not knowing hehe. I am soooo nosy. Thankyou anyone who can help
Han X

7 replies
AuntAndrea Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 8

I was curious about this, too, so after seeing your request for info, I went online to do some research... and was completely overwhelmed with the amount of information and CONFLICTING info that is out there on this subject! I couldn't figure out what to put in here!! icon_eek.gif

I went to Google and did a search on "History of Groom's Cake" -- you might want to try that... if you have a bunch of time to read all of the articles that come up!!! icon_smile.gif Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!!

Good luck!!

sadiepix Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 8

It is an old tradition.
It began with having a fruitcake alongside the wedding cake, which the groom would feed to or hand to the bridesmaids for luck. They were to keep a slice of the given cake under their pillow so they could 'dream of their future husband'.

It changed somewhat to be a surprise the bride gave the groom, choosing a dark color against the lighter wedding cake but themed to reflect his personality/likes.

Nowadays grooms often choose or have a say in choosing the groom's cake and it often has something they enjoy reflected in it or a fave flavor etc.

Some of the books I have say that when folks came to America, the traditional European fruitcake as the wedding cake fell to the wayside in favor of sweeter, lighter cakes/icings and the fruit cake was served for luck and to honor the older ways.

LNW Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 8

They are mostly a southern American thing but I have heard of people up north doing it too. I have never been to a wedding in my area that didnât have one. The groomâs cake is just as it sounds a cake for the groom. Itâs in his favorite flavor and usually represents something the groom is interested in or a hobby of his. Usually the bride surprises the groom with it.

I did a groomâs cake (in my pics) of the Linux penguin. The groom was a software guy who worked with Linux a lot at work. Iâve also been to a wedding where they had a giant peanut butter cup groomâs cake because that was the groomâs favorite candy. If you watch AOC they do a lot of groomâs cakes. Some of their most elaborate cakes are grooms cakes.

I'm not sure how or why the custom began but I like it.

johnson6ofus Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 8

I think the "short" version of this was a wedding cake was a grand, white cake. The groom's cake was a much smaller (1/4- 1/3 of the size of the wedding cake) and usually chocolate cake, chocolate icing. Not all American weddings had groom's cake.

More recently, the "groom's cake" is a less formal, fun, side cake. The bride wants lace, flowers, and ribbons, matching the decor and table settings exactly- and the groom wants hubcaps and beer cans. The groom's cake is a way to achieve that. So it is that "little bit" the groom gets to choose. icon_smile.gif

johnson6ofus Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 8

PS. The "cake cutting" and "feeding each other" is done with the main wedding cake, not groom's cake...BTW

DesignsByMandie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 8

Very interesting sadiepix....I knew grooms cakes were a big thing but never knew why!! Thanks for the info!!!!

HannahLass Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks to you all, this one has been bugging me for a while. Loving the info I get on here. Trying to soak it all up like a sponge. But I have to say this is the best place with the best people. I have searched the internet but haven't found anywhere that even comes close to this. So thank you again. Han

Quote by @%username% on %date%