Wasc From Scratch? Can This Be Done???

Baking By kellertur Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 2:42am by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 6

I would like to try the WASC recipe, but only do scratch baking (we're vegan). I can easily use vegan sour cream, soy butter, etc., but I've ONLY seen box mix recipes ~ even when I do a web search. icon_sad.gif

If anyone can please help, I would really appreciate it. It doesn't have to be a vegan recipe (I'm good at adapting about anything) but it can't be a box mix recipe.

Thank you in advance. icon_smile.gif And I'll cross my fingers.

5 replies
kellertur Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 6

PLEASE... I'm thinking, there must be someway to do this ~ ... I'm a bit frazzled because I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Who invented this recipe? It seems odd that someone would write a recipe with "box mixes" as an ingredient and not know what the "mixes" are adding to the cake (what specific ingredients???) I can add them in if I knew measurements, ingredients... Does this make any sense?
Someone somewhere must have done this as a scratch cake before???

thanks again... icon_smile.gif If you can help, I'd be EXTREMELY grateful. thumbs_up.gif

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 6
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 6

Hi -- I'd suggest taking your favorite vanilla or white vegan cake, and adding 1to 2 tsp of almond extract, and substitute sour cream (vegan) for some of the liquid (up to 1 cup).

Hope that hels.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 6

Well, I think this qualifies as scratch WASC.

Since I FINALLY found the best scratch recipe EVER I decided to âextendâ it with ½ of its on ingredients + Sour cream instead of more Buttermilk

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/MOIST-YELLOW-CAKE-109358

Here is the link for the original recipe (Toba Garretâs) and this is what I added:

1-1/2 cup of flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
1 cup of sour cream (instead of additional Buttermilk)
2 tablespoons of cornstarch

*I only used 1 Cup of Buttermilk from the original recipe instead of the 1-1/4 cup.
*I put the butter sticks in the microwave for a few seconds until soft and creamed them with the sugar until was very light color and fluffy.
*I was able to fill two 10âX2â.

This is by far my most tasty cake ever, it was soooo delicious and fluffy and yummy⦠so Iâm sticking to this recipe.
Iâve done it twice and it came out fantastic, in the words of my BF âitâs like eating cloudsââ¦donât know how he ate clouds before icon_rolleyes.gif

My next try would be a chocolate versionâ¦Iâm planning to add 1 cup of cocoa powder +1/2 cup of cake flour (instead of the 1-1/2 cup of c.flour)
and only additional 2 eggs instead of 3.

I will let you know how that one goes.

kellertur Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:42am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions and for being so helpful. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%