Help With Purple Fondant

Decorating By Cakenator Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 11:56pm by kello

Cakenator Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 5

I recently covered a 6 tiered cake with Lavender fondant. When I came in the next day it was a very lovely (note sarcasm) shade of gray.

Any tips to keeping lavender fondant lavender?

4 replies
jolmk Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 5

Pinks and purples seem to fade fast, I was told to keep them in the dark as much as possible. Even keep them away from indirect window light. Another possibility would to tint your fondant a little dark than the true color you want.

Jo

kello Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 5

Yep, pinks and purples are the worst for fading!! Any bright light is bad (not just sunlight). I always put my fondant in a dark cupboard or in your case, I guess a box over the cake might have helped.

AsburyArt Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kello

Yep, pinks and purples are the worst for fading!! Any bright light is bad (not just sunlight). I always put my fondant in a dark cupboard or in your case, I guess a box over the cake might have helped.

I wonder, are you using purchased fondant? Are the colors even right when you tint the fondant?

Purchased fondant typically has citric acid in it. It reacts with the purple and the pink and dulls them out. It's not really fading. Think of when you color gumpaste lavendar or pink, those don't "fade" right? SOme brands of purchased fondant are worse than others for "acid" content.

I suggest if you need lavender or pink fondant, make homemade fondant or airbrush the color. Sometimes, if there is too much cream of tartar in my IMBC, the same thing happens. Also, I've noticed Wilton pink will crap out more than Americolor.

kello Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 5

I'm using MMF...homemade. Even in the Wilton yearbooks, it warns of fading. I do use the wilton colors mostly, and only a few of the americolors. I haven't tried the americolor in pink yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%