Transfer A Desogn To Fondant?

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 7:08am by xstitcher

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 9

I have a scroll design from an invitation I have to transfer to a wedding cake, wanted to emboss it but I can't figure out how to do that either.

An edible image is not really what I am looking for, although I suppose if I have to I can put it on and then pipe over it.

And of course I have to finish it by tomorrow! It is baked and covered, working on the topper now until I can figure out how to do the sides - 3 tiers, square cake.
LL

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 9

In the Confetti Cakes cookbook Elisa Strauss talks about transferring a pattern onto a fondant covered cake using a pencil. I've used this technique with cookies and it worked beautifully, can be time consuming though.
All you do is take a non-toxic pencil (most pencils are, but just make sure) and you trace the design on a sheet of paper going over the lines heavily with the pencil. Then flip the paper over putting the pencil side to the cake and lightly go back over all the lines with the pencil, it will transfer a very light pencil marking onto your fondant that you can then use to trace. I used this technique with my dalmation dog cookies and it worked really well. I made like 30 of them and it took me about an hour to transfer all the designs. Hopefully this can help you out too!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 9

If you don't care to do the pencil transfer you could pipe the design on waxpaper w/royal and use that as a press against the fondant. That sure is a busy design.

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 9

I had to do a scrolled tree that isn't my usual thing (so I didn't want to freehand it) a few weeks ago. I ended up piping it with sugar veil and then transferring it onto the cake. It wasn't a design that repeated though, so I didn't have to worry about spacing. I can see that being a pain with that design...

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 9

I have the same issue. A bride wants the design from her dress on the cake. I have pictures of the design but need to get it on to the fondant. I'll be watching this one, cake due this weekend!

SweetResults Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 9

I started the pin prick method - took about an hour to transfer the 6" tier - NOT including piping! So I'm gonna try the pencil method next! Thanks!!

I have sugarveil, didn't have much luck with it - this might be too crazy to try, but I am determined to try it again someday.

Thanks everyone!!!

SweetResults Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 9

Well the pencil method works - much faster and more accurate than the pin prick! I was able to trace the outline one time in pencil and use the same paper for all four sides.

Still finishing up the cake, will post a picture when I am finally done!

My piping is not the best, but it will do - I used the little parchment triangles and just cut the tip off - so much easier to hold, tape it all up tight and hold it like a pen. Only needed 3 bags - I cut the regular triangles in half and it was the perfect size.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 9

awesome, so glad it worked.........can't wait to see the cake!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:08am
post #9 of 9

Can't wait to see the pics! I'm glad you got it done though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%