Traveling 8 Hours With A Cake. Please Help.

Decorating By AmandaPanda Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 6:19pm by tracycakes

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 6

My best friend is getting married at the beach it will be a real small wedding with only about 14 guests. I am planning to make her a simple wedding cake just 2 tier maybe 9 inch and 6 inch square cakes fondant covered with some chocolate seashells for boarders. I plan to just take the shells and decorate when we get to the beach house. My question is how is the best way to pack and travel 8 hours with a fondant covered cake, they will be unstacked. do i just put them in 2 separate coolers. the plastic kind or should i get the foam coolers? do I need to wrap them up with anything? I will not have time to bake the cakes when I get there so I will have to back and cover before we leave.

Thanks

5 replies
loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 6

From what I understand of fondant, it is very finicky about humidity. I have always been advised Not to put it in the fridge. Do you have to use fondant? Why not use hi-ratio crusting BC? Then you wont have to worry so much about it. You could then stack the cakes and everything before you go. Just my opinion, but then I'm not crazy about the fondant taste and can get BC just about as smooth. Sorry this isn't more help.

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 6

thanks I suppose I could use BC I just figured fondant might travel better since if it gets touched it won;t leave a huge dent like BC. It honestly does not matter to me or my friend if it is fondant or BC she is just happy I am doing it for her icon_smile.gif

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 6

I drove a fondant cake 7.5 hours last year in 90 degree heat and all was fine. It was much bigger but I doubt that would matter. I used SMBC under it. To travel, I put them all on boards and in boxes-not coolers, just regular boxes and blasted the AC the entire way. We just wore heavy sweaters and got lots of odd looks icon_biggrin.gif The cake was fine when we got there, hadn't budged and was cold to the touch but not so cold it started to sweat. Fondant can be finiky but I've actually never had a problem with it. When I don't have time to do the full design for a cake before the event, I cover the night before and put it in the fridge-VERY lightly covered with plastic wrap, then the next day I let it come up to room temp in AC, it usually sweats a small amount but by taking it out a bit ahead of time it evaporates. Sweating can actually be a bit helpful if you are attaching other fondant decorations, as you don't need to wet them first!

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 6

If you're worried about 'dings' in your icing, just make sure you place the cake in a lidded box large enough to protect the cake. Put some foam or something under the bottom of the box so it doesn't slide. Make sure if you stack the cakes beforehand that you either use a good support or for this small top layer, just make sure the icing sets into the bottom cake so it doesn't slide. I made the mistake once of icing and delivering the cake the same morning.. it was a disaster icon_cry.gif , but that was a long time ago and another thread..

Also, its very nice of you to do this for your best friend. She's lucky to have a friend like you thumbs_up.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 6

I'm travelling 8 hours tomorrow with a cake. I'm just going to put in in a sturdy cardboard box with non-skid mat under the cake AND under the box.

It is fondant covered with fondant decorations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%