Chocolate And Cherry Idea.

Baking By shiney Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 11:36am by TracyLH

shiney Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing some footballs for a team that's colors are red and white. Thinking of using a little cocoa in brown for base icing on football, and some cherry juice in the red for writing of the names, then standard white RI for the stripes on football. Anyone tried this combo? thumbsdown.gif or thumbs_up.gif ?

6 replies
Honeydukes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 7

Is there a fat in the cherry juice that might break down the RI? I don't have a jar handy. You could use the dark chocolate rolled cookie recipe for the footballs and then pipe the colors. I do like the idea of the flavor combination, though -- very Black Forest-ty!

Here is the recipe:

shiney Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 7

Used some of the maraschino cherry juice in today for pink glace, and cocoa in the brown. The flavors were great.

Honeydukes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 7

I'm so glad it worked for you! I was worried about the cherry juice breaking down the royal icing. I still need to look at the ingredients list on a jar. I love cocoa in RI! I will definitely try the cherry juice -- I make those chocolate cherry mice and toss the leftover juice. Thanks for letting us know it worked!

TracyLH Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 7

I am a bit late to be adding, but wanted to add that I successfully use the marashino cherry juice in my valentine's cookies. It gives it a nice pink color (which can be deepened with gel paste, if you want), dries as it should, but it is the flavor that is the hit. I got the idea from and if anyone wants to try it, I used 1/2 tsp. almond extract with 2 lbs. powdered sugar and enough marashino juice to get the desired consistency. Now, though, I used Antonia74's RI recipe, which calls for 2 1/4 lbs. powd. sugar, so I may up the almond extract a touch in accordance with change. It is just a fun change in flavor for Valentine's Day.

shiney Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #6 of 7

Thanks TracyLH! I knew I saw it somewhere, but couldn't remember where. I'm so pleased with these colors, the brown and pink combo, can't wait to get them finished and post pics....oh, yeah, and get them to my friend for her birthday. I'm just nervous about putting on the brown dots yet, I only flooded them this morning, afraid they will run.

TracyLH Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:36am
post #7 of 7

I have my fingers crossed for you! I always get a tad nervous about adding dots too, but I have had great luck with Antonia74's RI if the base color is really set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%