Ka Mixer Questions...

Decorating By Tashablueyes Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm by marccrand

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 11

So I am hoping I can talk dh in to buying me a KA. I was just thinking the basic one would suffice, is there any reason why I need to get one of the more advanced models? They all seem to have the same one year warranty.
Does anyone have one of the more basic models and think a 4 1/2 or 5 quart bowl is big enough? Does it have enough power? If I ever really get up and running I would definitely want to look into something bigger, but for now I just want a good cost efficient mixer. And I'm currently using a sunbeam $40 hand mixer, so anything I get will be like a dream!

Thanks!

10 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 11

I have one of the smaller ka mixers and I love it .. I also have the larger ka mixer and I love that as well .. the small mixer is strong enough for cake mix, icing, color flow, and royal icing .. I have never had a problem mixing anything in it .. the larger ka mixes all the same stuff, obviously just more of it at one time ... I had the smaller one before I got the larger one and I thought it was just perfect!

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 11

I do have a 6 qt. KA and I really do like it. I like the size of the bowl. We usually make pretty big batches of icing so it's perfect for that.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 11

I recently purchased the 6 qt KA and I love it because of the capacity. I'm a buttercream fan and always need at least a double batch and the 6 qt bowl is perfect. It is also great for making large batches of sugar cookie dough.

Tashablueyes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 11

So you both think I should go a step up from the 4 1/2 or 5 qt? I want it to be able to knead dough and stuff on occasion too... will the "starter" model do that, or does it not have enough power?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 11

I had a 4 qt - very old - maybe 25+ yrs that worked like a charm.
Then I got a 5 qt. brand new. They both worked well but I could make smoother, better icing in the small, old one than I could in the newer one.
It certainly depends on how much baking you do which size to get.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 11

I burned out 3 hand mixers before I bought the 4.5 quart and it has done everything I've ever asked of it - except make a double batch of bc. Now I have the 6 qt and barely ever pull out the 4.5, but I know if I did it could get the job done.

Tashablueyes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 11

marccrand, I'm guessing the reason it couldn't make a double batch of BC was the bowl size and not the power?

Thanks for all the input, it's good to know that whichever I end up getting will be good.

SplendidMissM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SplendidMissM Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:57am
post #9 of 11

Since it's going to last you practically forever (or at least, a really really long time!) I'd get the biggest bowl and highest wattage you can afford. I have a 475 watt one and I love it because not only is frosting small potatoes, I can use it to knead bread without having to worry about burning out the motor, which is REALLY nice.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #10 of 11

I have a 5 qt and the 6qt KAs, and I'm using both as we speak.. the 5 qt for a double batch of cake batter, and the 6 for a 4x batch of cream cheese icing. icon_razz.gif I am saving so much time by having both, it's making me plum giddy! LOL

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

marccrand, I'm guessing the reason it couldn't make a double batch of BC was the bowl size and not the power?

Thanks for all the input, it's good to know that whichever I end up getting will be good.

Well, yes. I meant because of the size. But now that you say that, I guess I can't prove that it has the power to mix a double-batch because I've never tried. icon_rolleyes.gif But I'm sure it could. I love that thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%