Ka Mixer Questions...

Decorating By Tashablueyes Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm by marccrand

Tashablueyes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 11

So I am hoping I can talk dh in to buying me a KA. I was just thinking the basic one would suffice, is there any reason why I need to get one of the more advanced models? They all seem to have the same one year warranty.
Does anyone have one of the more basic models and think a 4 1/2 or 5 quart bowl is big enough? Does it have enough power? If I ever really get up and running I would definitely want to look into something bigger, but for now I just want a good cost efficient mixer. And I'm currently using a sunbeam $40 hand mixer, so anything I get will be like a dream!

Thanks!

10 replies
TheCakerator Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 11

I have one of the smaller ka mixers and I love it .. I also have the larger ka mixer and I love that as well .. the small mixer is strong enough for cake mix, icing, color flow, and royal icing .. I have never had a problem mixing anything in it .. the larger ka mixes all the same stuff, obviously just more of it at one time ... I had the smaller one before I got the larger one and I thought it was just perfect!

DollyCakes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 11

I do have a 6 qt. KA and I really do like it. I like the size of the bowl. We usually make pretty big batches of icing so it's perfect for that.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 11

I recently purchased the 6 qt KA and I love it because of the capacity. I'm a buttercream fan and always need at least a double batch and the 6 qt bowl is perfect. It is also great for making large batches of sugar cookie dough.

Tashablueyes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 11

So you both think I should go a step up from the 4 1/2 or 5 qt? I want it to be able to knead dough and stuff on occasion too... will the "starter" model do that, or does it not have enough power?

kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 11

I had a 4 qt - very old - maybe 25+ yrs that worked like a charm.
Then I got a 5 qt. brand new. They both worked well but I could make smoother, better icing in the small, old one than I could in the newer one.
It certainly depends on how much baking you do which size to get.

marccrand Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 11

I burned out 3 hand mixers before I bought the 4.5 quart and it has done everything I've ever asked of it - except make a double batch of bc. Now I have the 6 qt and barely ever pull out the 4.5, but I know if I did it could get the job done.

Tashablueyes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 11

marccrand, I'm guessing the reason it couldn't make a double batch of BC was the bowl size and not the power?

Thanks for all the input, it's good to know that whichever I end up getting will be good.

SplendidMissM Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:57am
post #9 of 11

Since it's going to last you practically forever (or at least, a really really long time!) I'd get the biggest bowl and highest wattage you can afford. I have a 475 watt one and I love it because not only is frosting small potatoes, I can use it to knead bread without having to worry about burning out the motor, which is REALLY nice.

DoniB Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #10 of 11

I have a 5 qt and the 6qt KAs, and I'm using both as we speak.. the 5 qt for a double batch of cake batter, and the 6 for a 4x batch of cream cheese icing. icon_razz.gif I am saving so much time by having both, it's making me plum giddy! LOL

marccrand Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

marccrand, I'm guessing the reason it couldn't make a double batch of BC was the bowl size and not the power?

Thanks for all the input, it's good to know that whichever I end up getting will be good.

Well, yes. I meant because of the size. But now that you say that, I guess I can't prove that it has the power to mix a double-batch because I've never tried. icon_rolleyes.gif But I'm sure it could. I love that thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%