Poured Fondant, Does It Taste Good?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 12:40am by Jopalis

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:27am
post #1 of 18

I would like to know how it tastes. is it too sweet? is it crunchy or melt in your mouth? I'm thinking of using it for cupcakes since the party is going to be outdoors. can it survive 10 hours of being outdoors from the afternoon into the evening?

17 replies
bashini Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:18am
post #2 of 18

Hi, I haven'e made it or tasted it. So I'm not much help at all. But I just thought I would give you this link to one of our fellow CC member's blog, where she shows how to make Poured Fondant and tips.

mellormom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:37am
post #3 of 18

Peggy Porchan's recipe tastes like Royal icing and is very good! It's not crunchy it's very smooth and super yummy! And it gives a great look to cupcakes!

amysue99 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:39am
post #4 of 18

I like it, but it is very sweet. I think it's perfect for cupcakes. Just pour a little on the tops and quickly smooth it to the sides. It works best if the cake is a little lower than the paper cup. The edge of the cup acts like a dam and you wont' get any icing dripping down the sides. It dries very smooth and melts in the mouth. It should withstand heat well.

The trick to poured fondant is not to overheat it. If you do, it will loose its shine. But, overall, pretty simple to make.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 18

thanks! i actually found an easier recipe. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the tips guys! icon_biggrin.gif

bobhope Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 18

i use peggy porschen's poured fondant recipe, it's easy to make & best of all it tastes good icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 18

hey bobbie! what premade fondant do you use?

bobhope Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:49am
post #8 of 18

hi denise!, i used mmf (which recipe i got online)when i tried peggy porschen's poured fondant recipe & it worked fine icon_smile.gif

tootie0809 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 18

Okay, this is probably a really dumb question, but can you use poured fondant on a cake?

msmeg Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 18

yes you can do poured fondant on a cake. since it is transparent you frost with buttercream but not too thick and then do your poured fondant

I add a touch of almond to cut the sugar

tootie0809 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 18

Cool! I'll have to try this. Does it look as good and smooth as regular fondant?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 18

oh i wanna know too. icon_biggrin.gif but since am using chocolate cake, it might not look good LOL

margaretb Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #13 of 18

Who is Peggy Porchan, and where is her recipe?

martmarg Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:39am
post #14 of 18

i've used the chocolate poured fondant and it tends to cool very easily and get clumpy. Can't remember who's recipe. It tastes good but it's too sweet for me. I don't like sweets. But everybody else who's tried it says it's really yummy.

jibbies Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:43am
post #15 of 18
Originally Posted by margaretb

Who is Peggy Porchan, and where is her recipe?

She authored the book "Pretty Party Cakes"
Here's her recipe. (I have her book)
3 1/3 pounds ready made fondant
2/3 cup sugar syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon glucose
Place fondant in large bowl and cover with hot water for 15 minutes. Pour off water. Add remaining ingredients. Heat in microwave for 3 minutes stir, heat for another minute. Pour over cake.

margaretb Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:53am
post #16 of 18

Thank you for the recipe. Umm, is sugar syrup just sugar and water mixed together, or is it something you buy?

margaretb Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:05am
post #17 of 18

Thank you for the recipe. Umm, is sugar syrup just sugar and water mixed together, or is it something you buy?

Jopalis Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #18 of 18

sugara syrup is usually just equal parts of sugar and water brought to a boil. Avoid stirring and use a pastry brush dipped in water to brush along the sides over the syrup. You don't want any hard crystals forming on the sides. Just heat till sugar is dissolved....

Quote by @%username% on %date%