Which Is Best To Use For Modelling?

Decorating By say_it_with_cake Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 9:54am by bashini

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:58am
post #1 of 7

I'm making some standing 3D figures for a cake but I'm not sure what I should make them with. I have mmf, RTR fondant or powdered pastillage on-hand.

What would be best to use? I tried to make spiral ribbons out of both fondant and mmf for my last cake (stars & clouds) but they just crumbled and couldn't support their own weight so I left them out icon_sad.gif

Should I mix the pastillage with mmf? Straight pastillage? Oh I have no idea lol. Delivery is due on Sunday (it's Thursday night here in Oz) so I have a little bit of drying time up my sleeve but I'd really like to get started tonight. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:03am
post #2 of 7

The best thing is CMC/ tylose added to fondant or 50/50 gumpaste and fondant.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

say_it_with_cake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:17am
post #3 of 7

Sadly I don't have any tylose / CMC, it isn't available locally. I've seen it online but it won't reach me in time for this cake lol.
Would 50/50 pastillage and fondant work? Gumpaste maybe? I'm so new at this and I'm a bit lost.
I have the ingredients needed for a basic gumpaste (PS, gelatine, water), would that work better? One of the figures will be standing (on the back of a gondola lol) so I'm a bit worried about him crumbling.

bashini Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:29am
post #4 of 7

I don't think pastillage is going to work with fondant. You have to use Pastillage on its own and it drys really hard.

If you can, make some gumpaste. I don't have a recipe for it though. But Here are two recipe that I saw in the Recipe Index.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7204-0-Gum-paste-recipe-No-1.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7205-1-Gum-paste-recipe-No-2.html

say_it_with_cake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:35am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for replying bashini icon_smile.gif

Which recipe do you use for gumpaste? There are a few different ones here on CC but the only one I have the ingredients for is "Gumpaste recipe No 1". The others seem to need tylose. Will it still hold ok?

say_it_with_cake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:37am
post #6 of 7

Sorry, posted too late lol. Thanks for that, I'll give it a try icon_smile.gif

bashini Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:54am
post #7 of 7

I don't make my gumpaste from scratch. So since you got only two ingredients, give it a try.

Hope that would work well.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%