Now I Know How Indy Felt After She Found Stick Roses!

Decorating By littlecake Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 3:49am by hammer1

littlecake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:13am
post #1 of 18

i have not been real fond of fondant...oh i make it and buy it...and use it sometimes.

this is gonna sound stupid...so go ahead and chuckle...i have always struggled with it....until i discovered corn starch.

DUDE

i rolled it out with powdered sugar...what a mess...i could never get as thin as i liked....and it stuck to everything and was just a mess.

used a little cornstarch on the table and rolling pin...OH MAN...the difference was like day and night!....i rolled it out paper thin...slick as can be...WHO KNEW?

look out duff...i'm lovin me some fondant now... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
Jannie92869 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:50am
post #2 of 18

So glad you found something that make you happy! Sometimes its the little things that really make us smile!

congrats!

Magnum Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:08am
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

i have not been real fond of fondant...oh i make it and buy it...and use it sometimes.

this is gonna sound stupid...so go ahead and chuckle...i have always struggled with it....until i discovered corn starch.

DUDE

i rolled it out with powdered sugar...what a mess...i could never get as thin as i liked....and it stuck to everything and was just a mess.

used a little cornstarch on the table and rolling pin...OH MAN...the difference was like day and night!....i rolled it out paper thin...slick as can be...WHO KNEW?

look out duff...i'm lovin me some fondant now... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

That's so strange, i discovered the same thing last saturday icon_biggrin.gif . The difference was MASSIVE. And its soooooo much cheaper too!

amycake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:20am
post #4 of 18

are you kidding me. All this time using powdered sugar and hating it. I am sooooo going to have to try using corn starch and see how I like it with it. I am so excited to try it.

amycake icon_biggrin.gif

mellormom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:35am
post #5 of 18

Yes, Cornstarch all the way! Some people use crisco but with MMF it gets to soft unless you use cornstarch. Cornstarch rules!
Jen...

amysue99 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:40am
post #6 of 18

Good to know. I've got a lot of fondant work this weekend. Gonna have to try it.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 18

I'm gonna have to try this this weekend. Littlecake, what kind of fondant do you use?

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 18

A good tip to go with the cornstarch: use a pastry brush to dust it on the surfaces and on the fondant, as necessary.

I had a silicone brush but it doesn't do as well as the kind with the bristles. I do worry about losing bristles into the fondant, but every time I wash the brush, I twist and pull the bristles so that if any are thinking of falling off, they'll go ahead and do it then and not in my fondant.

tracycakes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 18

Ditto on using cornstarch. What REALLY helped me though was putting vinyl down on my work surface. Even using cornstarch, I was having some problems with sticking to the surface and then I would add too much cornstarch. Once I put some vinyl down, no sticking, no staining my countertop and cleanup is MUCH easier (for me anyway).

ANTNET Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:18pm
post #10 of 18

what are stick roses

lilahcakes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 18

wow , i use powdered sugar , im gonna try cornstarch now!

andysprite Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 18

I watched a YouTube video awhile back......I think maybe it was one of Edna's. They put equal parts cornstarch and powdered sugar in a knee-high stocking and knotted it. Then you can just pound your work surface with it! It is awesome! No sticky mess. No clumps of powdered sugar or cornstarch. icon_smile.gif

littlecake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

I'm gonna have to try this this weekend. Littlecake, what kind of fondant do you use?

satin ice...mmf...or a combo of both

littlecake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTNET

what are stick roses

stick roses don't have anything to do with fondant...it is just the best method IMHO for making buttercream roses, indy got excited to find this method, i got excited when i FINALLY learned how to roll out fondant the right way.

heres a video

i've posted this so much on here, i should give this gal royalties...lol...i do them this way, and it's so much easier....

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 10:45pm
post #15 of 18

Everyone knows that on the fondant status ruler, I'm UNDER the status of "newbie", but I just delivered a cake tonight with fondant accents, and I used this cornstarch idea. Granted, I haven't worked with fondant enough to know what's really good or bad, but I have played with it enough to see this cornstarch thing is pretty cool! No sticking whatsoever to the stainless steel countertop AND no big white powder mess.

I used the wilton fondant (it was just for the sides .. it's the "envelope" cake I just posted, if you're interested), and I advised the bride against actually eating it! icon_redface.gif (I DID tell her, "There are a number of fondants that taste pretty good, but this brand isn't one of them! icon_lol.gif )

Anyway ..... what a great tip for those of us who haven't worked very much with fondant. A great way for us to get started on the right foot!! Thanks!!

Naturepixie Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:31am
post #16 of 18

I'm going to try those stick roses. icon_lol.gif I can't make roses for the life of me...and on the fondant matter I've only used it three times in my life. The first time I hated it and swore I would never use it again....then I saw the Baby Belly cake.. I've used it twice in two days....but I used crisco. I don't remember what I used the first time probably powdered sugar..lol Maybe I should try corn starch... icon_biggrin.gif

alanahodgson Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:46am
post #17 of 18

I've tried all the crisco, powdered sugar, cornstarch combinations possible and have found that straight cornstarch on vinyl is the best method hands down.

hammer1 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:49am
post #18 of 18

thanks for the cornstarch hint, since I don't usually do fondant that will be useful when I try again.....however the stick rose thing has my jaw hanging open...how have I been doing roses all these years the nail head method....I can't wait to pick my designated rose stick...any suggestions on size?

WOW STICK ROSES

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%