Has Anyone Taken The Wilton Fondant/gumpaste Class?

Decorating By tanyascakes Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 4:12am by xstitcher

tanyascakes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:48am
post #1 of 28

Hi, everyone. I am considering signing up for this class. I actually found one at a hobby lobby in the next town over. But I am wondering if it is even worth trying to take. I haven't really done too much wth fondant at all, so I thought it might be a kick. Or should I just keep working on it myself. I am mostly self taught. (I had a neighbor teach me some basic stuff from when she had taken the wilton 1-3 classes years ago.) I think I am doing okay, but I could use something to do since I am not making cakes right now-I just moved back from Germany. Any advice from someone who has taken this class would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Tanya

27 replies
pastriegirl Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #2 of 28

I took the class and it was worth taking. It doesn't hurt to take the class cuz there are other people that you might learn different things from. The tools one uses for working w/fondant and how it all pieces together.d

shadowgypsie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:38am
post #3 of 28

I am a Wilton Instructor and I think you would like the class. The techniques you learn in the fondant/gum paste class can then be used to learn to make other More advanced things.

My students love the class.

tanyascakes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:03am
post #4 of 28

Thanks for all the good news on the class. I am going to go to the store in the morning to get all signed up. Are you given the things you need for class or do I have to purchase them seperately? Any cool tools that you think I might be needing? Thanks again!

Copacabanya Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #5 of 28

Well I'll be the odd man out here and say I thought it was a waste of time. If you haven't taken course 3 then yes, I'd say take the fondant and gumpaste class. But if you have taken course 3 then, at least in the one I took, there wasn't enough new information to warrant the cost of the new class.

That's one thing about Wilton courses though, it totally depends on the quality of your instructor. If you have a great instructor then maybe the fondant and gumpaste course is better than what I experienced. But I was totally disappointed.

Have fun, whatever you decide to do!

Anya

MaraCarter Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:13am
post #6 of 28

I took it. It was fun. It is always good to keep learning new things. I would recommend maybe taking course 3 before. I took 1 and 2 but not three. 1 and 2 were good. In three they covered how to cover a cake in fondont. But the gumpaste and fondont doesnt go back to teach that. So, I got a crash course in how to cover a cake, but Im not very good at it. Im sure in the other class (3) it is explained more. That was the only thing I ran into. I guess it will just depend on your instructor. Maybe one of the instructor on here will provide more insite on that.

I say take it. It will be fun way to met people too!!

jab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:44am
post #7 of 28

I took all the Wilton classes and I wish they had more. I learned alot in each class. The people in the classes were real informative and fun to be with and I had an excellent teacher. Good luck you will learn alot. I have a great desire and I have found alot of info from CC too.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:59am
post #8 of 28

As a WMI, I have to disagree that the F/GP course is the same thing as what you get in C3L2. Personally to me Course 3 Lesson 2 is a very quick intro into fondant. I don't have the time in that class to teach as munch about fondant (coloring, marble, storing, uses) in that one 2 hour lesson as I can in the other course.

Yes in Course 3 you do cover a cake in fondant, but it is a square cake, which is different than the rounds you cover in the F/GP class. And yes you get to make the fondant rose and the fondant bow. Both great, very verstial things.

In the Fondant and Gumpaste Course you will cover two cakes boards in fondant, as well as two round cakes. You will learn several different applications for fondant/gumpaste including the drape, handkerchief and ribbon garland. You will also learn several fondant borders (not even mentioned in Course 3). PLUS three gumpaste flowers.

I do not like the order the class is set up in, but I love the content and for people that have none to little fondant experince it is a great place to learn more about it. I am all for being self taught, but I also think that alot of people are visual learns and that is what these classes are about.

For the class you will want to purchase the F/GP kit. I also have a list of supplies I give my students that they will find come in handy for the class. If you are interested in the list let me know and I will try to post it tomorrow.

tanyascakes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 28

Wow , that is alot of info to take in. But I am glad for everyone's insight. TexasSugar, I would be grateful for the list if you can post it. Plus, like you said, I am a visual learner. And I have only covered a few cakes in fondant before and never used GP at all. That is the main reason I wanted to take the course, to give myself some more skills to offer. I had even though about taking courses 1-3, just to refresh myself. But I will have to think on that a bit more. Thanks for all of the advice from everyone! I truly appreciate all of my CC friends!!

tanyascakes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 28

Well slap my face and call me disappointed!!! I called down to the store to see about signing up for the class. I am so angry!! The lady asked if I had taken the wilton 1-3 courses and I said no, did it matter? I really only wanted to take the f/gp class. I said that I was taught by someone who had years ago and had been making cakes for years and learning from friends. She expressed that he f/gp class wasn't a class done on a regular basis and it was an invitaion only class for her students from the other courses!! Can you believe that!!! The nerve. You would think that she would want to teach that class to anyone who wanted to learn it!! I am just furious!!! If I am willing to pay for the class then why should it matter that I didn't take the classes. I even told her that I was thinking of taking the other classes as refreshers and shesaid if I did then I would be welcome to take the f/gp class afterwards!!! I just want to spit, I swear! Sorry for screaming, but I had to get it off of my chest. Thanks for listening.

emrldsky Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyascakes

Well slap my face and call me disappointed!!! I called down to the store to see about signing up for the class. I am so angry!! The lady asked if I had taken the wilton 1-3 courses and I said no, did it matter? I really only wanted to take the f/gp class. I said that I was taught by someone who had years ago and had been making cakes for years and learning from friends. She expressed that he f/gp class wasn't a class done on a regular basis and it was an invitaion only class for her students from the other courses!! Can you believe that!!! The nerve. You would think that she would want to teach that class to anyone who wanted to learn it!! I am just furious!!! If I am willing to pay for the class then why should it matter that I didn't take the classes. I even told her that I was thinking of taking the other classes as refreshers and shesaid if I did then I would be welcome to take the f/gp class afterwards!!! I just want to spit, I swear! Sorry for screaming, but I had to get it off of my chest. Thanks for listening.

Was it the Wilton instructor you spoke with, or someone from the store? If it wasn't the instructor, but just someone in the store, call and ask for the contact information for the instructor.

If it WAS the instructor, you might be better off not taking it with that person. If you have a Michael's near you, they also offer the courses.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Was it the Wilton instructor you spoke with, or someone from the store? If it wasn't the instructor, but just someone in the store, call and ask for the contact information for the instructor.

If it WAS the instructor, you might be better off not taking it with that person. If you have a Michael's near you, they also offer the courses.

I am gonna have to agree here. If it was just a store employee they don't always know the answers to your questions. I can't even begin to tell you all the wrong information they have given out to my students.

Call back and ask for the number of the WMI. If they will not give you the number ask to leave her a message for her to call you.

If it is the instructor that does say that, then I would personally contact Wilton, as they need to be aware of this.

The only thing that Wilton says is that you need Course 1 to do the F/GP class. I have had a few students sign up that haven't had Course 1 and have done fine in it, if they have experince, so I don't push the issue. If they have no cake experince, then I suggest they start with Course 1.

lilahcakes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #13 of 28

I took the f/g course in August , and I havent taken 1-3 yet( i start 1 tonight!!) Also the people at the store knew jack abouth the class info.

tanyascakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:14pm
post #14 of 28

Okay, everybody, here is the update. The person I talked to was the instructor. She did say that this was a class she offered to her previous class students. So I decided to call her back and talk to her about the situation again. I actually was able to catch her in a better mood this time. I explained to her that I was recently returning back to the states and that I had been doing cakes for years. I expressed that I really wanted to take this class to have a needed skill to add to my decorating. I showed her some of my photos and she really liked them. She also agreed to accept me into the class!!! I was so happy. She explained that she had been having a really bad personal day the day I reached her. Not that it was an excuse, but when she told me about it I could understand. Maybe she just didn't come off right to me the first time. She even apologized. She seems genuinely nice and I felt for her. Needless to say, I am taking the class. Hopefully this is the last of the bad days. Wish me luck with it! I will keep you all posted on how it goes! Thanks for always being here!

Tanya

Dixiegal01 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:43pm
post #15 of 28

I've taken courses 1-3 but not the Gumpaste yet...which I've been wanting to do for a while. I think this has rejuvinated my intrest Ladies, thanks!

jennym0904 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 28

i am going to start the class this friday and i am so excited (mainly because i can get out of the house!). I really want to learn about making gumpaste flowers and using gumpaste. icon_smile.gif

lilahcakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:20pm
post #17 of 28

I finished the gumpaste class last month and started course one thursday, call me crazy, but this bc is harder to do ! Am I crazy ? or does anyone else think the same thing?

jenmac75 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:33pm
post #18 of 28

I learned a lot of techniques from the F/gp class. I took 1-3 first, but it is different from 3 I think. I learned a lot from all the classes and this site of course!

basketlacey Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #19 of 28

I just finished course 1 right before Labor Day and I start F/GP tomorrow. I can't wait!

At our store, you do have to take course 1 first but then can do the others in any order. We only have one instuctor so she offers course 1 each month and the other 3 courses rotate.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:48am
post #20 of 28

Sorry I forgot to post this the other day....

F&GP Course Shopping List:
Required:
Fondant and Gum Paste Course Kit
3 â 24oz Boxes or 1 â 5lb Box of Wilton Fondant
2 pkg Fondant Multi-pack, pastel or primary (buy
two of the same colors)
1 pkg Ready to use Gum Paste
1 pkg 12â cake circles or 12" Silver Cake Bases
8in cake circles
8in cake pan (2in or 3in)
Piping Gel or White Piping Gel Tube
Roll & Cut Mat Or Dividing Wheel (C3 Kit)
Practice Board (C1 Kit)
Wilton Foil Baking Cups
Wilton Foil Bon Bon (mini) Cups

Recomended:
20in rolling pin
9in Rolling Pin
Cutter/Embosser Tool
3 âpiece brush set
Tapered Spatula
Yellow & Pink Shimmer Dust

tanyascakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:10am
post #21 of 28

Thanks for the info, TeasSugar! Your list looks just like the one I wrote out tonight of what I need to buy! Shocked me out of my boots! Boy I am spending alot of $$ on this stuff, but I am sure it will be worth it in the end! Thanks for all of your help e1!

tanyascakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #22 of 28

Okay, everybody. I will be leaving to my clas in a few minutes!! I am scared and excited all at once. But I know it will be good for me to learn something new. I am hoping for a good experience that is worth the cost of everything. Thanks for all advice and wish me luck!!

jennym0904 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:33am
post #23 of 28

texassugar- THANKS!!! I forgot to pick up the list when I signed up back in August! icon_smile.gif

Kay_NL Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:30pm
post #24 of 28

I started this class last week and while I found class 1 to be boring (after taking course 3, it was a lot of repetition), I am looking forward to the other classes! It is turning out to be expensive, but by making my own fondant and gum paste I hope to keep my costs minimal.

I do wonder about the first course cake, I get the impression that it will not have a set design. I really don't want to make a cake with random things all over it, anybody care to share their fondant-gum paste cakes from class 2??

tanyascakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:47pm
post #25 of 28

Well, I had alot of fun last night. I was the only self taught person there, but the group took me in pretty well. I did learn to do a fondant rose, which I have never done. I was a bit upset about the fact that she asked e1 if they had the recipe for MMF to use instead of buying the real stuff. I did buy that because she had it on the list. I thought that I should make up my MMF and take that, ut I didn't want to be different with it. So now I have bought all of this expensive fondant when I could have just made it myself. She did seem surprised that I knew what it was and hd used it before. But I tried to tell her that I was already on top of alot because of my cake friends here. Now she sees that I am not a total idiot. But I had a great time. I will try to post my pic of the first rose later. Thanks for all of your help, gals!

Kay_NL Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:37pm
post #26 of 28

That sounds completely different from my first class! basically the instructor says you have to use Wilton products, and there is no rose in the cousre manual... Hmmmm.

xstitcher Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_NL

That sounds completely different from my first class! basically the instructor says you have to use Wilton products, and there is no rose in the cousre manual... Hmmmm.

Mine says the same!

xstitcher Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #28 of 28

Hi tanyascakes,

I just wanted to mention to you that Michael's often has 40% off coupons for one item and that they also accept competitors coupons (ac moore, hobby lobby etc.) and I know that ac moore has their coupons on-line so print them off and take them with you! P.S. If you haven't opened up all of your fondant boxes you could always return them and then use the MMF to cover your cake and leave the opened box for flowers and accents etc.

Have fun in you class!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%