I Need A Revolutionary War Cake Idea For A Birthday

Decorating By kristina67 Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 1:47pm by indydebi

kristina67 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:26am
post #1 of 6

My 5th grade son is having a revolutionary war party. I need some ideas for his cake. He wants NO FONDANT! EEWWW! YUK! Of course that's about all I know how to do too. So simple ideas if you have any icon_lol.gif
Thanks a bunch

5 replies
mixinvixen Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #2 of 6

my "bombing of fort mchenry" cake (war of 1812) might give you some ideas. it is fondant, but could be done in buttercream with fondant or gumpaste ship/accents.

aztomcat Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:36am
post #3 of 6

Maybe you could do the top as the Revolutionary war flag. The blue stars are in a circle and the red and white stripes are the same as we have now.

I also could see an old cannon on top. or a Tri-horn hat (think that's the name) Also picture the old drums they would beat on as they marched into battle.

How about carving a cake into the shape of the US and use soldiers to represent fight. Boys always like to do that.

good luck,

D in az

kristina67 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 6

thanks to the both of you for some really terrific ideas. We haven't quite decided but I think I've talked him into a fondant covered cake with "lots" of bc underneath. Maybe a replica of a cannon? We shall see.
Wish me luck!

aztomcat Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:35am
post #5 of 6

Good luck with it and please post it here when you're done so we can see the final product. Kids love toys on their cakes, maybe you can find a war scene game or cannon and use it on the cake. I think the cannon would be pretty easy to make. for your wheels make them ahead of time and let them dry for 5 days or so, then they will stand up. I'd probably have the main part of the cannon dry on some skewers and use them to attach it to the cake.

indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 6

A revolutionary war drum is almost an icon of that period.

Quote by @%username% on %date%