Reposting Of My Hatbox Cake Directions

Decorating By Fairytale Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 11:49am by Fairytale

Fairytale Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 7

A while back I posted directions to my hatbox cake. Unfortunately, something is wrong with the original post and everytime I get notification that someone has left me a comment or question, I get an error when I try to open it. I thought I would repost the original in hopes that this would solve the problem.

I also wanted to thank you all for your kind words. I'm so glad my instructions have helped.

Here you go:

"Many of you have asked how I make my hatbox cakes. I?ll do my best to describe what I do, but I know there are several ?right? ways to make these. Here?s how I fumble through mine.

I make my regular cakes, decorate and stack them. For the hatbox lid, I make mine from styrofoam. I roll out GP, flip it over, paint it with water, then put the stryofoam on top, and cut around it. Flip it over, smooth it and let it dry. After that I take fondant, cover the top and sides of the lid, flip it over and cut off the excess. Makes a nice seam between the GP and fondant. If you don?t want to use the Styrofoam, you can always prop the like open with a wooden dowel.

I prop mine open with a Styrofoam wedge because I usually use that to secure my flowers. (Like a floral oasis). You have to do your flower arrangement first, and keep trying on the lid, to make sure your not going to smash the flowers. I push a floral wire into the bottom of the lid, then push the lid down on the Styrofoam and into the cake. I secure the back of the lid with either a dab of royal icing or white chocolate. Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

I've posted a picture of the babyshower (9-3-08 updated this to my birthday cake) hatbox cake just in case you haven't seen it.
LL

6 replies
Sugarchic Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 7

Thank you for taking the time and reposting it. I know we all appreciate you and everyone who posts there help.

blanca

Frankyola Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:49am
post #3 of 7

Thank You for posting the instructions your cake is lovely thumbs_up.gif . thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

littlecake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:06am
post #4 of 7

lovely, thank you!

ceshell Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:24am
post #5 of 7

Fairytale, your OP was started in April 2007 but since some of the comments occurred during the timeframe of the CC data crash (i.e. the comments were made Oct 07-March 13 200icon_cool.gif those comments were lost during the data crash and the page they were on was corrupted. However your original post up to p7 is intact http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=215781&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Soo...what's happening is, people are reading your OP, then they decide to post to say thank you (no doubt!) but when you get a notification the link jettisons you to the last page of the thread, which is corrupted. If you click on your own thread and scroll thru pages 1-7 you'll be able to find the new comments, but page 8 is toast...and p8 is where the link sends you.

You might want to post a link to THIS thread in that old thread and then ask a Mod to lock the thread so nobody else can comment in that old one.

I don't know if any of that makes any sense by the way! I'd have sent this note in PM but I figured if this little explanation makes an iota of sense, then it's good info for everyone since there are lots of old threads out there with corrupted end pages.

xstitcher Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:09am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for taking the time to do this for us!!! Your cake is gorgeous btw!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Fairytale Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:49am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone.

Ceshell, your explanation made total sense. I appreciate your taking the imte to post.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%