Has Anyone Seen Anything Like This? Or Can Suggest Similar?

Decorating By Jayde Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 12:58am by Jayde

Jayde Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 18

I am looking for something similar to a hand roller for pasta, but I want to be able to roll long equal width strips of fondant easily (I have a cake that needs quite a few). This is the only thing that I could find that wouldnt cost me a fortune, but the width is actually too far apart, so I was going to get 2 of them and try to have my hubs jerry rig it so that way they are closer together. Oasis has one but its stainless steel and $95. Does anyone know where I might find something like this or similar??

Thanks for the help...
LL

17 replies
sandygirl Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 18

Wilton has a ribbon cutter and embosser set. It is adjustable so you can make the strips as wide as you's like.

HTH

PinkZiab Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 18

you can get a five or six wheel cutter designed for pastry. They are metal and fully adjustable (the frame is an accordian type set up with a wing nut to tighten it). they are quite expensive however.

just google multi-wheel pastry cutter.

PattyT Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 18

I have the Wilton cutter and not thrilled with it. It is adjustable and cuts more than one ribbon at a time, but the plastic blades are too thick and the edges on the cut fondant aren't sharp.

I bought this from Global Sugar Art, and though it only cuts one ribbon at a time, it is adjustable width and the wheels are thinner for a sharper edge.

http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17248

Edited to add...I guess you could buy two of them - and use the second set of wheels on the same bolt, or even buy a longer bolt at a hardware/home store and string a set together.

ceshell Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 18

This one cuts four at a time and is quite reasonably priced. http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/catalog/product_21868_Adjustable_Ribbon_Cutter_cat_268.html

CelebrationCakery Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 18

I use a herb cutter, I bought it at Kmart. The cutting discs are not adjustable though...

mixinvixen Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:53am
post #7 of 18

i use an herb cutter also...got it at wally world.

PinkZiab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:58am
post #8 of 18

This is what i was talking about and it's quite versatile. I couldn't live without mine.

http://www.instawares.com/multi-wheel-pastry-cutter.mwpc-2x6am.0.7.htm

funbun Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

This is what i was talking about and it's quite versatile. I couldn't live without mine.

http://www.instawares.com/multi-wheel-pastry-cutter.mwpc-2x6am.0.7.htm

This is one of my favourite tools! I use it daily. It pays for itself quickly. icon_biggrin.gif

jessc169 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:14am
post #10 of 18

i just want to second that the wilton cutter is not all that great. i hate mine actually. the wheels always get stuck or stop rolling but if i loosen them anymore they wobble and don't make a straight line.....it's just a pain!

PinkZiab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:21am
post #11 of 18

I should add that the URL I posted as for a cheap multi-wheel cutter (cheapest I have ever seen), so I don't know how well it would perform long-term but would probably be great for someone on a budget or a casual user. If you search you'll see the heavy duty higher end models are usually around $80-100 and up.

shadowgypsie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:20am
post #12 of 18

For those of you who have the Wilton ribbon cutter embosser, get a regular type nut and place on the screw end in place of the wing nut. It should stay in place and let your wheels roll better.

shadowgypsie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:31am
post #13 of 18

For those of you who have the Wilton ribbon cutter embosser, get a regular type nut and place on the screw end in place of the wing nut. It should stay in place and let your wheels roll better.

mamacc Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:22pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I should add that the URL I posted as for a cheap multi-wheel cutter (cheapest I have ever seen), so I don't know how well it would perform long-term but would probably be great for someone on a budget or a casual user. If you search you'll see the heavy duty higher end models are usually around $80-100 and up.

So...this is the model that you have?? And it works well? I have the FMM one and I do like it but cutting multiple strips at the same time would be nice!

Shelly4481 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:35pm
post #15 of 18

I have the one ceshell showed from cakesbysam.com. Works great. My only complaint is the blades start to rust quickly when I clean them so I have to wash and dry fast.

tiggy2 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:38pm
post #16 of 18

I threw the wilton ribbon cutter away it was so bad. I have the FMM cutter and I love it. It cuts a very clean edge and has three different discs edges.

tortitas Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:37pm
post #17 of 18

Sheesh! I just bought one last week, haven't used it yet so maybe I should just return it. Thank you all for posting how you really feel about this product. I don't have the extra $ to waste on supplies/utensils that may not work the way I really want it to. Great "presentation" is what we are all here to achieve.

Jayde Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:58am
post #18 of 18

Thanks guys for all of the help. I didnt want to get the one from Oasis, unless I knew for sure that it was actually going to do a decent job at cutting the fondant.

And my favorite quote by Leahs "Wilton = crap" is pretty true. I stopped buying a lot of the Wilton things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%