Just Flat Out Help Needed!

Business By alcotth Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 9:10pm by southernbelle

alcotth Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, so my friend and I made a cake, just for fun, for our friend's Birthday. Well since then, it has prompted 3 orders! Now, we are delighted. But the fact of the matter is we had a tough time with the last one! Our fondant cracked and was a mess to cover up. We made MMF and did not use shortening like was suggested. A friend advised us that she has never used shortening and has never had a problem... Hmmm... Well we did a practice run with shortening and it came out pretty good! We tried frosting a square of styrofoam, our next cake is square, but it cracked in all the corners! Plus we had a BUNCH of excess at the corners. Could the cracking be because it was not a cake that has a little give? What do we do about the excess fondant at the corners? Also, I have been told by a pastry chef, that freezing the cakes makes them more moist. Seems to be true, but what I did, was baked, layered shaped and lightly frosted the cakes. Froze them until I could cover with saran wrap, then froze them again. Had them in there for a week. Then the day of the party we took them out of the freezer in the morning and let them sit out as we prepared the fondant. We tried to frost one tier again and lay fondant but it kept sliding and breaking. So we didn't do the other one that way. Please help! We have another one, a SQUARE, EEK, on the 20th and I don't know what kind of timeline I should have for preparation. Oh, and this is my first post, so hello all! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
kimmypooh79 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 4

Try this link. She has it in fast motion but you get the gist of it. Notice how she just pulls it out from the corner to kind of stretch it so she can smooth out the excess.

pmaucher Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 4

I have recently also having the same problem with my fonant not smoothing correctly. I was told to always smooth fondant downwards (never go sideways, this will create folds). So I gave this method a try, and it worked. Also on square cakes, do the corners first, then smooth the sides. Hope this helped.

I have also asked questions about freezing cakes, and was told by some people that they have frozen a decorated cake with fondant and have had no problems. But must take the cake out the day before. I have not tried it, but have been told it works.

southernbelle Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 4

hello and welcome to CC where you will quickly get addicted icon_smile.gif

I freeze my cakes as I too feel it makes them moister. However, when I have a cake to be covered in fondant I lay they out at least a day in advance and do my filling and cover with Glad Wrap. Then the next day they are completly thawed and ready to ice and cover with fondant.

I have had great success and great failure with MMF so I have turned to using either Satin Ice or Fondx to cover my cakes. MMF is just to unpredictable for me. Others here use it all the time and don't have a problem....

But I make sure my cake is throughly thawed before icing and covering with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%