Gumpaste/fondant ?

Decorating By anoldhippy Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 12:27am by lorrieg

anoldhippy Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to make my figures and I am using just the Wilton gumpaste, boy they sure do harden like a rock. But they don't seem smooth like most of your. What am I doing wrong. Should I stick them together with vodka/vanilla after they are dry? They don't seem to want to stick! I have to make a Santa and a bunch of snowmen by next week! Help!

3 replies
bashini Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there, if I'm doing figures, I would use fondant added some CMC/tylose. Or 50/50 gumpaste and fodant. You have to attach everypart as you go along. Don't let each peice dry seperately, because its going to be very hard to glue them together. Here is a fantastic video from aine2 on how to make a snowman.

" rel="nofollow">

stephaniescakenj Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 4

I do 50/50 as well and use gumpaste glue to attach as I go along. Once it dries, it is harder to stick it all together. You have more time to work with it if you add fondant too.

lorrieg Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #4 of 4

I use 50/50 and gum glue that I make. For things that I want to look more "translucent" like arms, faces, etc, I use gumpaste only.

Straight gumpaste on figures can look like elephant skin when it dries. But you can't beat it for flowers.