Alaska Ho!

Lounge By Parable Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 1:28pm by imagine76

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I hope you do! I am usually busy as hell but I will stop and talk as much as I can icon_smile.gif

Personally, I would skip Gwennie's. I don't really like it. For a nice dinner, my fave is the Marx Brothers downtown and for good casual food City Diner (which my shop shares a parking lot with).

Kory, I looked your shop up on GOOGLE MAPS. I see a strip center behind the City Diner. Is your store the first one on the right? I would think it should be since you are Suite 1A and you have a drive thru espresso window, right. Wait a minute I don't see the drive thru window. Just went to the map again and there is no drive thru at the other end of the strip center either. Am I looking in the wrong place? Are you actually in the same building as City Diner. Can't get a good look at the back of City Diner. I love GOOGLE MAPS.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions too. All you ladies have been so much help! I'm on my way, soon!

Parable Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:15pm
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

Okay, okay, I cave on the Gwennie's idea. Maybe it's the food we're used to where we live now, but we really like Gwennie's. That's why there are other restaurants in Anchorage - something for everyone.

Have fun on your trip! I wish I could go with you!

Deanna

Hey I just had a thought! Want to stow away in my luggage to get on the ship? The only rule is you don't get to stay in the luggage on the flight back to Florida. They charge tooooooo much now for luggage. icon_mad.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:29pm
post #33 of 46

Hm, do you have a layover in Dallas? And a big carry-on I can fit into? LOL

Deanna

Parable Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:37pm
post #34 of 46

Nope. We'll be going home from Vancouver thru Phoenix & Charlotte. USAir dividend miles tho.

Parable Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #35 of 46

I have another question for you gals in Alaska.

Will I have reception on my AT&T cell phone up there? Just curious.

DebraDough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraDough Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:04pm
post #36 of 46

My Kids and family have come from all over the world to visit and I cannot remember even one of their phones not working. I'll say a little prayer that yours will not be the first :- ) My boys and I were in Anchorage yesterday and they wore me out shopping for school clothes. We ended our day at the Bears Tooth watching a movie and eating pizza. I don't drink but if having a beer with your pizza sounds good I forgot that they serve beer there with the food if you want. The movie was fun..about Ghenkas Kahn...boys! I also checked at Wally's and they do still have the Alaska Sausage Co. products there. I think it was like five or six dollars for a vacumn sealed "rope" of it. I still have plenty so I didn't buy yesterday. Talk to you later and eventually I'll get to meet you Kory and Judy I loved your cake photo. Your hubby is a lucky fella. I'll try to get a few photos posted. I've just always been glad to see my cakes go out the door they are always so much work. Photos just never seemed too important to me. But I'll try to do better.
Blessings to all of you, Debra

Parable Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #37 of 46

Thanks Debra.

Started getting things together today to start packing. It is soooooooo weird pulling out my winter clothes when I am in my shorts and sandals. We're even watering the lawn because it has been so darn hot here the yard is dying. It will be nice to experience some milder weather for a while.

DebraDough Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #38 of 46

Milder? Well I guess that's one way to put it. I'm still in my tee shirts and jeans but I can certainly feel the nip in the air. Usually our cooler weather is dry and so it's not as cold as it might sound. But....this summer has been so wet that it has been a bit more chilly feeling than the temp. says it is. You are going to have SO much fun I just can't wait for you to get here. I'm even trying to re arrange a commitment for Wed. so I can get up to meet you. Right now it doesn't look too likely but who knows? It just might come together. Happy packing. Debra

Parable Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:06pm
post #39 of 46

So i don't have to pack sweaters only? I'll layer? Anything is going to feel cooler than this weather down here.

It would be so neat if you could come up so we could meet. I'm putting your cell into my cell right now.

I just realized I totally forgot to do any research for Vancouver. We spend one day&night there after the cruise. Geez! Wonder if I should start another thread for Vancouver?

DebraDough Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:02am
post #40 of 46

My youngest son was selected out of six States to participate in an All Northwest National Honors Choir last year and it was in Vancouver. He got to spend about five days there and he said it was beautiful. I think I'd start a new thread if I were you. No sense wasting good time, money and effort learning where not to go the hard way. CC ers seem to be very willing to help in just about any area. Hurry up though you are running out of time!
Later, Debra

Oh...I think you will be chilly when here so I would say layers would be perfect. Long sleeve tee shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters and maybe one lightweight coat just in case your layers don't do the trick.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:43am
post #41 of 46

Debra, I hope you didn't try to come by the shop! It was one helluva weekend (today too!) and we were forced to stay closed yesterday so that I could rope everyone in to helping me!

Parable - YES, layer! It was 55 yesterday and 60 today, I think.

DebraDough Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:26pm
post #42 of 46

Hi Kory,
I wish I had had the time to stop by even if I only got to look in the windows. My boys kept me on a short leash though and we shopped until I dropped. Ended up at Bear's Tooth for pizza, a movie and then drove home. We come up for hockey all winter so I am sure we will meet sooner or later. In the summer we do an up and back because the hotel rates are just so stupid. Come winter priceline treats me oh so good. Have a good one...I'm off and running....it's Monday... yuk. Blessings to all. Debra

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #43 of 46

And yes, Parable, we are the last slot on the Northern Lights side of the building. We've only been since January tho, so I think Google maps still shows it as Omega Pizza.

Parable Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 10:37pm
post #44 of 46

Debra, Kory and Deanna,

Just wanted to let you know we are back from Alaska, at least in body. It has taken us about 4 days for our heads (mind) to catch-up. icon_smile.gif

We loved loved loved your beautiful state. I only took over 400 pics!!!!!!!!! Lots of editing to do for sure. There was nothing we didn't think was totally amazing. I would recommend everyone try and visit your great state. A truely great experience.

I am sorry I didn't get to meet any of you while we were there. We did ride past Kory's shop on the way from the airport at 3am on the 10th but I'm sure you weren't even there that early! I saw the lights from the City Diner and started yelling hey there is Kory's place! The taxi driver thought I was nuts!

We did get to taste the reindeer sausage and even brought some home with us to share.

Thank you all for getting us ready for this amazing vacation.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:38am
post #45 of 46

My best friend lives in Anchorage, and has for the past 10 yrs. It's absolutely gorgeous. I can tell you that I live in Maine, and we've had more severe winters than Alaska for the past 5 yrs!!! If you get the chance, go to Seaward. I believe that's where the iceburg is you can walk out on... (And I have so much Alaska memorabilia, I always joke that Nichole must work for the travel bureau, which she doesn't. icon_lol.gif )

We saw the Northern lights when we were in Scotland, in Inverness. We thought it was odd that it was still light at 11pm!!! Reminded me of Alaska.

Have a fantastic trip!!! thumbs_up.gif

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:28pm
post #46 of 46

we went on a cruise about 7 years ago. didn't get to see Anchorage though icon_sad.gif . my favorite thing was the helicoptor tour of Mendenhall Glacier. it also didn't hurt that our pilot was smokin' hot!

you're gonna have a great time. bring gloves and big coats! we had to even in june!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%