I Have A Burrrnnning Question!

Decorating By jjkarm Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 5:47pm by GeminiRJ

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 12

Am I the only one who burns myself every time I bake? It's now a family joke. If I ever have a red mark on my arm, if I'm wearing a band aid, or if I'm holding my hands under running water, the first question I'm asked is, "Mom.....have you been cooking again?" icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I still have a brown mark on my arm from a burn I got back in June! icon_confused.gif

This had been a burning issue in my house for quite some time. I feel like I need to have a heated discussion with someone. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Is anyone else a blister addict like me?

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 12

That doesn't happen to me...but it sounds like a good excuse to go shopping for some nice, thick quilted oven mitts, coordinating potholders, pans with handles that don't get hot, splatter screens for when you're frying something, etc...

The only thing I've ever burned myself on in the kitchen is the comal (cast iron tortilla griddle). That little sucker is mean and I burned myself on it twice before I learned to turn the handle to point toward the back of the stove, so I wouldn't instinctively grab for it if the tortilla was a little stuck.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 12

Funny you mention this b/c yes I burn myself all the time. I have several marks on my arms. I think I just get in a hurry and don't pay attention. My husband says he's going to buy me a long sleave fire proof shirt.

icon_biggrin.gif

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 12

I am not a burner, but a cutter! LOL! It seems like evertime I pick up a knife I cut my self some how, my hands and sometimes arm are always cut! I can not buy new knives, I have to keep my old dull ones or I will be in the hospital every other day! Just calle me clumsy I guess! LOL!!!!!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 12

Ok, you are going to laugh, but if my pain helps to make your day a bit brighter, then here it goes...

My DH and I put the kids to bed one night, and we were watching a movie with the gas fireplace on (no screen, don't ask!!!). Well, I had been drinking rum and coke and my DH was the one mixing them. We started getting frisky, and the next thing I know I'm standing on the mantle of our fireplace trying to warm up. Naked as a jay-bird. Now I have a nice burn scar across my right cheek. A solid line about 1/2 inch wide, and about 4" long. Be happy your DH isn't teasing you about THAT!!!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

That doesn't happen to me...but it sounds like a good excuse to go shopping for some nice, thick quilted oven mitts, coordinating potholders, pans with handles that don't get hot, splatter screens for when you're frying something, etc....

The kind that come all the way to your elbows! icon_lol.gif

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 12

mommyle,

What a bummer!! icon_lol.gif hee hee hee...

OK, now I have to fess up now. When I was in college. I was in a hurry and needed to get rid of a big wrinkle I had in my skirt. I didn't have time to change my clothes. So instead, I picked up a hot iron and tried to iron my skirt while I was still wearing it. I worked well until I accidently hit the steam button........... icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif OUCH! For several years after that I had a really cute cluster of round circles across the side of my tush! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 12

My career as a hand model was over before it began lol... I have so many scars on my hands and forearms it's ridiculous lol. Many of mine are from sugar/isolmalt, but plenty from oven mishaps as well!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 12

You guys are crackin me up! I seem to burn myself pretty often too. I blame it on my height. At almost 5'10, I have to really bend down to get into my oven and I also tend to just grab stuff off the rack instead of pulling the rack out first so I tend to get burned on my forearms.

Remindes me of the time in sixth or seventh grade home ec. class that I was sewing a pair of shorts, went to try them on, and realized very quickly that it does matter which way you put the pins in! I had about a dozen or so long skinny scratches on my legs for a few weeks. What a dork!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 12

Oh... And another time we were having my DH's birthday party, and I took a hot dip out of the oven (had to bake for 45 min, so the pan was good and hot) and about 2 seconds later I had to move the pan, and GRABBED it with my BARE HANDS!!!! UGH!!!! I hadn't even started drinking yet. NO excuse!!!! And no word of a lie,I grabbed ANOTHER hot plate about 20 minutes later. I got out of the kitchen and let everyone else take care of things!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkarm

mommyle,

What a bummer!! icon_lol.gif hee hee hee...

OK, now I have to fess up now. When I was in college. I was in a hurry and needed to get rid of a big wrinkle I had in my skirt. I didn't have time to change my clothes. So instead, I picked up a hot iron and tried to iron my skirt while I was still wearing it. I worked well until I accidently hit the steam button........... icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif OUCH! For several years after that I had a really cute cluster of round circles across the side of my tush! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

LMAO!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You must have longer arms than me or a much smaller backside, I'd be doomed before I even started, steam button or no steam button.

I have hurt myself in lots of stupid ways, just not in the kitchen. I broke my foot falling off a platform shoe, broke my hand walking into a park bench while carrying a very heavy binder (and staring at the butt of the guy walking in front of me), broke my hand in the ceiling fan above my bed, sprained my ankle falling off the altar steps, broke my arm in 7 places falling off a swingset, got bitten by my cat when I rescued him from a possum and got blood poisoning from the bite...I wear Crocs all the time to lessen the chances of falling down icon_redface.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 12

I've had my share of burns. Cuts, too. I sliced my hand on a sharp edge of a cake pan and had to get a tetanus shot. At least I'm not as bad as my husband. He's always cutting himself. Even my sons are aware of this. DH was working on a project with my sons, when a friend asked one of the boys if they were finished for the day. My son replied, "No, Dad isn't bleeding yet."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%