Ribbon Absorbs "oils" From Butter/crisco...help!!

Decorating By cakesbyclaire Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 6:49pm by strawberry0121

cakesbyclaire Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, I've made several cakes -wedding cakes with either a satin ribbon border or a grosgrain ribbon border. EVERY time, the ribbon almost immediately starts absorbing every ounce of oil from the butter and crisco from the icing.
It gets oily in spots and looks bad. Eventually the entire ribbon has absorbed the oils and atleast it all looks the same. Either way, it bothers me... do any of you know of a way to coat the back of the ribbon so that it does not absorb the "oils"??
I've tried cutting strips of viva paper towels and using them to soak up any oil before putting the ribbon on, and have tried pinning the strips of viva to the cake, then putting the ribbon on- but that was alot of work!!
Any ideas?

13 replies
KASCARLETT Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 14

Try "ironing" the ribbon in between a piece of waxed paper (sorta like sandwiching the ribbon). Place the "ribbon sandwich" on a cloth on the ironing board and another cloth on top. Then iron on low. The wax will transfer from the paper to the ribbon. I've done it that way lots of times and never had a problem on the buttercream.

KoryAK Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 14

I don't mind the oils, just the splotches. So I hose it down with some Pam before applying to the cake.

cakesbyclaire Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 14

haha yes, i've hosed it down with pam too!!

Okay, when you make the sandwich and iron it, does the color of the ribbon change any?? And... the grosgrain ribbon- it wont look "waxy"??

cfao Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 14

If you use sheer chiffon type ribbon, it won't absorb the grease or darken in color the way satin or grosgrain ribbon does. The other kind of ribbon that works great is the florist type ribbon that Bakery Crafts sells. It looks a lot like a satin ribbon when it's on a cake, but doesn't absorb any grease either.

Shelly4481 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 14

In my photo's I just did a pink/yellow ribbon on the cakes, and didn't have any problems with grease. I use a all shortening recipe (no butter) and it doesn't show any spots. I frosted the night before and let it sit and crust well. Put ribbon on next day. Not sure why mine doesn't show grease. I also did one a few months ago with black ribbon and same thing. Maybe it is the butter? Not sure, may have to experiment with it.

k96002 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 14

I just put very light yellow ribbon on a fondant cake...and used dots of royal icing to hold in place thinking I was being so smart, and it looked fine...but in all the pics you can see the dots...and it didn't look so good. I have not figured out ribbon on buttercreme...or fondant!!

strawberry0121 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 14

I have done the wax paper trick and was successful. We used just some cheap satin ribbon from Walmart. I used piping gel to adhere it to the cake. I painted it directly on the ribbon and then stuck it to the cake.

KASCARLETT Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 14

I've always used the satin ribbon. It does not affect the color of it though.

Make sure that if you are using buttercream, it is crusted good before applying. I "attach" the ribbon in the back using dots of buttercream. If you are doing other decorations also, make sure that you start at the back of the cake.

Gale Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 14

I've used ribbon several times on wedding cakes. Someone on this website told me to use double sided tape and wax paper on the back of the ribbon. Just trim off the excess paper. It's really easy to do and I don't have a problem with spots anymore. I just attach my ribbon to the cake with a thin line of icing. Works great!

leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 14

I only use fondant ribbon. No problems and no food safety issues.

Wildrose6633 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 14

I have always used the wax paper method. But I would like to try thr fondant ribbon I have never used that.

k96002 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #13 of 14

PIPEING GEL!! I bet that would work perfectly for putting the ribbon on fondant!! Unless there again...it would show through the ribbon?? I tried the double stick tape...the idea is great...getting it to look perfect was another story. For the buttercreme...I like the waxed paper ironed to the ribbon idea...so the grease does not go through the ribbon.

strawberry0121 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 6:49pm
post #14 of 14

Here is the cake I did using the wax paper and piping gel method. My BC recipe uses shortening and butter and this one was outside. I saw pictures of the cake after the sun had gone down and I couldn't see ANYTHING coming through the ribbon. HTH!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1226285

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%