Stacking Sheet Cakes....

Decorating By Peachez Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm by Sarsi

Peachez Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 8

HELP! Okay, I've been out of the cake decorating loop for quite a bit and am starting to slowly get back into things...uhm...with a giant cake to serve 75 icon_eek.gif . I'm a little nutty like that....lol. I know I can handle it but am wondering, since I'll have to stack four or (maybe just 3 ??) 1/2 sheet cakes to get the height I need to make a realistic, life size, old school record player...how the heck do I do that without them caving in once I add fondant? I'm thinking of putting two down, then some dowels & two more on top of another cake board resting on the dowels. Does that sound right or does someone have a better idea/method? I'm looking at all the options.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here.

Thanks so much, in advance icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
jenbenjr Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 8

I would do what you mentioned. Stack the 2, then dowel and put the next 2 on a cakeboard on top of the other ones. This should make it alot more stable.

Sarsi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, that would work great! It works best if you do it in this order: cake, filling, cake, buttercream (however thick you normally frost them) and then stick your dowels in... then have the cake board, cake, filling, cake.... then just crumb coat the whole thing, pound a sharpened dowel all the way though, and put fondant over it!! Or you can put the sharpened dowel in after you put the fondant on.... whatever icon_smile.gif

Peachez Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:31am
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much for your advice! I was stressing a little & have to admit that I'm glad I didn't have to deliver this one. It was SO heavy! Here's a picture of the finished product. I ended up stacking only three 1/2 sheet cakes together to get the height that I needed.
LL

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #5 of 8

That is awesome looking. You did a great job for just getting back into it icon_lol.gif

Dixiegal01 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #6 of 8

Peachez, that is an awesome cake.....all of your cakes are thumbs_up.gif So glad you are back into the cake decorating, your skills were surely missed icon_smile.gif

hammer1 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 8

I was going to answer your post...but can see you don't need my help. fabulous cake, you are a great decorater, welcome back.

Sarsi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 8

Great job!!! CONGRATS!!! LOVE IT! its beautiful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%