First Post ! Lettering On Cake

Decorating By blueman Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 2:59am by Rebelady

blueman Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
Like I say, this is my first post. I have learned so much from this site. Love it!
I am making a grooms cake for my son's wedding. I am by no means as qualified as the others on this site, but I will do my best. The cake will be a 3-D cake resembling (I hope) a Caterpillar Service Truck. On the bed on the truck on the side is the word "Service". I will not be using fondant. I don't particularly care for it. I will make my buttercreme as smooth as possible. I was thinking of using the candy writing tubes to write out the "Service" letters. I will make them on a copy of the letters I need, let it harden and then transfer to the side of the cake. My concern is that it may slide down. Any suggestions, anyone?

4 replies
lilyanddayne Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 5

They should stick just fine. Buttercream is a good bonder. If you do it this way though stick them before your buttercream crusts. If you have a problem, use piping gel under the letters it is very sticky.HTH

lpino Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with lilyanddayne. You should be ok, buttercream will keep them in place.

Good luck!

kandu001 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:31am
post #4 of 5

I also agree. Buttercream acts as a "glue" to hold pretty much anything that you throw at it. However, try not to make it too heavy, as I have seen heavy pieces fall right off. I've had a wing fall off of a ducky cake because it was just too heavy on the side, but you should be okay! Good Luck!

Rebelady Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:59am
post #5 of 5

I agree with everyone else but I'll add my two cents too!! Make the lettering well in advance and make more than what you think you'll need. The first time I tried this I ended up breaking some of my lettering and my buttercream was completely crusted before I could get the next letters dry. So there's my advice, one Newbie to another!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%