My First 3-D Bear Cake.

Decorating By nissi01 Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 5:20am by lilahcakes

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 16

This weekend I decided to try to make the 3-D bear using the Wilton 3D bear pan. 1st I couldnt get the sides to fit snuggly together. I had to use one of the Hubs plyers to fix the pans. I then filled the pan, inserted the heating core and baked it for more than an hour. I followed the instructions to unmold the cake. Once the cake was unmolded and i went to remove the heating core, the face of my bear broke. icon_mad.gif i am attaching a picture of my finished product. I ended up doing his face freehand. Please send me any suggestions that any one may have for making this type of cake.

Thanks

Denise

15 replies
nissi01 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 16

Opps, my picture did not attach. Its too big. Once i figure how to make it smaller i will post. Thanks.

nissi01 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 16

I am now attaching the picture. Please let me know what you think.
LL

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 16

He turned out fine, I can't tell that the face broke.

If you don't want the heating core in the bear once he's decorated you're best of baking without it. They're really supposed to be left in but you can bake without it too.

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 16

looks perfect!! i dont see ANYTHING wrong!!!

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 16

Looks beautiful to me. I think you did a wonderful job. icon_biggrin.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 16

It looks good.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:12am
post #8 of 16

It looks fine to me - can't tell anything broke on the face.

He's very cute, BTW icon_biggrin.gif

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 16

ouch! sorry to hear that I had the same trouble with that pan, the bear cracking on the core after baking and cooling. I found it happened more when I tried using different versions of a choc butter cake, but the betty crocker pound cake mix worked much better. I also cooled the bear with the back pan still attached and laying on it's back. I also found that I had to let the cake completely cool before chilling or freezing. Your cake did turn out cute! icon_smile.gif

nissi01 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you guys for the great comments and tips. I think that next time Im just going to bake without the heating core.

Thanks again.

Denise.

angelicconfections Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 16

hi again, i don't reccomend baking the bear cake without the heating core, you cake will not bake evenly and the according to the box instructions you leave the heating core in as a support. good luck!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 16

Although, I have this pan, I have not done yet. So this might sound stupid. Are you to leave the heating core in after the cake has cooled and your ready to decorate. THis is not feesible when giving the cake to someone else. I also can't imagine not using the core, because I use nail or core for regular cakes, let alone 3D shaped ones.

angelicconfections Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 16

not a stupid question at all icon_smile.gif yes, that is what the 3-D pans intructions reccomend, the ones I have when i did do one for someone other than close family I simply required an equipment deposit for the core like I do for tiers and pillers

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 16

I've done that bear several times. Fill the core with batter (3/4 full), It will overflow when baking. When you are letting the bear cool, sit him on his back and take the front off and the core out. Take the cake out of the core and let it cool on its own. After 15 min put the front back on the bear, flip him over and take off the back to cool for another 15 min. Keep doing this until he's cooled off. When you go to decorate, take the top inch off the cake-core, put filling or frosting in the cavity or around the core, and put the core back in the bear. No equipement return needed, easy as pie... or cake... whatever.
HTH
Super cute, by the way.

edit to add:
After you take the cake out of the core, if your bear's tummy is caving in with no support, stick the core back in him to cool. then he retains his shape while he's cooling off.

nissi01 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 16

I was just looking the the Wilton forum and a lot of people had the same thing that happened to me happen to them. Some of the girls said to use a pound cake batter and add instant pudding to the batter (about a cup some said). Others said not to bake with the heating core, but the downside to that is that the bear has to be baked at a lower temp for a longer period of time. I think that my bears face broke because I left the heating core in while it was cooling. Im going to attempt to make another cake soon, and I will let you guys know how it tuns out.

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments.

Denise

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:20am
post #16 of 16

I juust ordered this bear so Im so happy to see all the useful tips. Also you cake came out great ! The bear is super cute!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%