How Do I Keep My Cake From....

Decorating By hwnhulahands Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 5:08am by sugarshack

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 8

bein so air-y and cumbly? I did a cake for saturday, the top tier was white and the bottom was chocolate. I used the pillsbury cake mix but it seemed this time when I was cutting off the bulge (from sharon zambito's video) my cake was very crumbly and fell apart at the edges. When, at the party, I had a piece of the cake and it was very air-y and it didn't taste like how it normally tastes and the texture was different. Could it be because they changed the "add to" ingredients or is there any way to prevent this or to make the cake alittle more dense without changing the flavor of the cake? I have another cake for this friday with the same flavors and this cake is a really important one for me. I need to get started this afternoon on these cakes but I don't want the same mistake with this cake. Saturdays cake was for family so it was ok but this fridays cake is for a business and I want to make a really good first impression. TIA.

7 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwnhulahands

bein so air-y and cumbly? I did a cake for saturday, the top tier was white and the bottom was chocolate. I used the pillsbury cake mix but it seemed this time when I was cutting off the bulge (from sharon zambito's video) my cake was very crumbly and fell apart at the edges. When, at the party, I had a piece of the cake and it was very air-y and it didn't taste like how it normally tastes and the texture was different. Could it be because they changed the "add to" ingredients or is there any way to prevent this or to make the cake alittle more dense without changing the flavor of the cake? I have another cake for this friday with the same flavors and this cake is a really important one for me. I need to get started this afternoon on these cakes but I don't want the same mistake with this cake. Saturdays cake was for family so it was ok but this fridays cake is for a business and I want to make a really good first impression. TIA.

Did you overbeat the cake batter? Was there a lot of air pockets in the cake?

If yes try beating the batter on a lower speed and less time.

hwnhulahands Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 8

No i didn't over beat. I always sift my mix and this is the first time this has happened. Should I stop sifting or change to duncan hines or something else? There wasn't any airpockets, the cake was just very air-y and crumbly.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 8

I'm not sure how to help you but I wanted to say that the last time I used duncan hines it tasted very chemically. I was not a fan at all! I use Pilsbury and have to problems and it tastes great.
Jen...

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 8

I use Pillsbury all of the time without any problems like you mentioned. Did you tap it a little on the counter after putting it into the pan? If there were too many air bubbles, tapping will release them. Did you cook it until the middle tested with no crumbs? I like to cook just until there are a few moist crumbs. If it comes out clean, it's overcooked to me and could be more crumbly.

hwnhulahands Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 8

I usually use pillsbury also and didn't do anything different then what I normally do but for some reason these two came out like that. I guess maybe i have to take it out of the oven sooner. not sure.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 8

Even tho I don't use Pillsbury it sounds to me like you might have overbaked it a bit. Did the cake pull away from the side of the pan before you took it out of the oven?
What size pan did you use and how long did you bake it?
If you want to make your cakes more dense, then add about 1/2 cup yogurt OR sour cream to the batter when adding your liquid. Not in place of liquid but w/it.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:08am
post #8 of 8

use the WASC or durable recipe from here with Pillsbusry. that is what I use and it is dense and moist and yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%