Specialize In Cookie Bouquets?baskets? Individual? I Dunno..

Baking By sweetcravings Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 5:59pm by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 3

My husband an i have been trying to sit down and make a business plan of sorts on how to market my cookies. I want to make it as uncomplicated as possible yet offer people something really nice. So we were tossing around the idea of selling my cookies in bouquet form. I've had good response from people who have seen my bouquets i've made as gifts for people. I'm just not sure they are going to be willing to pay the costs of putting the cookies in bouquet form. BUT>>I wonder if it would be easier to just sell my cookies in baskets or tins? I wouldn't have to fiddle with sticks. I could technically make cookies ahead of time and freeze (without sticks would take up less space in my freezer). I could bake more at a time on the cookie sheets without sticks. It's less cost to the buyer without sticks etc..get my point?

So i'm kinda torn on what to do...bouquets or baskets? icon_confused.gif I'm also confused on how to market them. Should i take the 'cookies by design' approach and sell them in sets of 3-5-7-9 etc.?

Do i make several sample bouquet or basket with cookies that are suitable for the occassion and have them decide which they want OR do i let them pick and choose the cookies they want to put in it. The problem i see with the second one is that some people don't have design in mind and might pick cookies that are not necessarily suited to one another in size etc..

icon_confused.gif So as you can see i'm soooo confused on how to approach this. My DH and i spent all last night going back and forth over how i should do this and how i should price it. icon_cry.gif I feel we got no where. I still don't know what is the best approach. Since i haven't done lots of cookie bouquets i don't have a lot of pics to share. I do however have several individual cookie pics to share. I also have lots of cutters i have yet to use. Geesh..this business stuff is complicated and until i get it right in my head i don't even want to venture into it. If you can give me some advise i'm eagar to hear it.

2 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 3

Study the other cookie companies and how they operate to give you a starting point. If it were me, I would not want to limit myself only to bouquets. It's so easy to make and package them individually. You'd get a lot more impulse buys when it comes to one cookie versus many. Will you do these by special order only, or will you have a storefront? By special order only would be better suited, I would think, to just bouquets. If you had a storefront, you'd want something smaller for people to try and to again, take advantage of those impulse buys. Good luck with whatever you decide. I would love to know what you end up doing!

sweetcravings Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Study the other cookie companies and how they operate to give you a starting point. If it were me, I would not want to limit myself only to bouquets. It's so easy to make and package them individually. You'd get a lot more impulse buys when it comes to one cookie versus many. Will you do these by special order only, or will you have a storefront? By special order only would be better suited, I would think, to just bouquets. If you had a storefront, you'd want something smaller for people to try and to again, take advantage of those impulse buys. Good luck with whatever you decide. I would love to know what you end up doing!

I have been doing lots of web surfing to see how others do it, but all i've found is american companies. Nothing around here to compare it to. I was leaning towards baskets of cookies or individual cookies for the very reason you mention.
I don't have a storefront so they will have to be special order. Thats why i'm thinking the basket ideas is easier..not as much storage space needed for basket and filler...but lots needed for bouquet containers, foam etc..
So many questions it's overwhelming. I will let you know what i decide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%