Which Cake Mix....

Decorating By hwnhulahands Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 12:15am by Deniro

hwnhulahands Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 17

do you use? Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Store Brand, or make from scratch? If you make from scratch, what recipe do you use?

16 replies
PinkZiab Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 17

I'm a scratch baker, but I don't have one recipe,but rather a huge collection of recipes that I refer to. Some I learned in culinary school, some are old family favorites, others I developed on my own. I don't see anything wrong with mix baking if that's what you like, it's just not my preference.

snowshoe1 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 17

I use whatever is on sale - never noticed a difference, but I know there are die-hard fans of some brands. Unfortunately, I don't have any family recipes handed down through the ages! So, I just try various scratch recipes that are rated highly on different sites.

Shelly4481 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 17

I am a Pilsbury fan, I usually add a scoop of sour cream or flavor (cream bouquet or princess emulsion) and sometimes nothing. I haven't had the best luck from scratch so I prefer this.

pottedmeatchunks Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 17

i buy whatever is cheapest between duncan hines, betty crocker, or store brand IF it does not have pudding already in the mix. i never buy pillsbury for this reason.

kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 17

Betty Crocker for almost 30 years and my customers all love it!

SugarFrosted Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 17

Betty Crocker for me too, 20 years.

twinsmake5 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 17

Duncan Hines for the last 32 years!

Granpam Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #9 of 17

Duncan Hines and everyone raves. I Tried BC with no luck.

sweetness_221 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #10 of 17

Love Pilsbury. That's basically all I use unless I need a spice cake mix. Then it's duncan hines. I've never had any problems with it and it's cheaper than the other kinds.

jab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:53am
post #11 of 17

I use BC and have great luck with them. I do add about a tablespoon more or oil though to each mix. I too am a newbie to this and I absolutely LOVE it. Try all of them and you can make your own decision that works best for you in your area. GOOD LUCK.

jab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:54am
post #12 of 17

I use BC and have great luck with them. I do add about a tablespoon more or oil though to each mix. I too am a newbie to this and I absolutely LOVE it. Try all of them and you can make your own decision that works best for you in your area. GOOD LUCK.

jab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:04am
post #13 of 17

panchanewjersey Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:25am
post #14 of 17

Hi just came across your question. I use the Smart & Final brand cake mix. They come in large 6 lb bags choc/white/yellow cake mix which are very good and moist. They are also dense and not to light like box mixes. Actually I love box mixes for personal cakes I just want to eat at home not for customers. The bags are not tooo expensive either, around $6.89 and each bag gives you full sheet cake. So not too bad. Try it and see if it works for you.

Deniro Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:34am
post #15 of 17

I didn't know smart and final had their own cake brand. Can people tell its a store bought cake mix?

panchanewjersey Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #16 of 17

No, which is why I prefer it. It has a different flavor and it's a heavier than reg cake mix. You should give it a try. I've added extracts to yellow and white cake mix to get different flavors and it's wonderful.

Deniro Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:15am
post #17 of 17

Thank you for the tip! I actually went out last night and purchased it for a cake order. I loved how it rised evenly, I didn't have to waste any cake! With the other boxed cakes they were'nt rising evenly though I used the baking strips. Than you so much!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%