Which Cake Mix....

Decorating By hwnhulahands Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 12:15am by Deniro

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 17

do you use? Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Store Brand, or make from scratch? If you make from scratch, what recipe do you use?

16 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 17

I'm a scratch baker, but I don't have one recipe,but rather a huge collection of recipes that I refer to. Some I learned in culinary school, some are old family favorites, others I developed on my own. I don't see anything wrong with mix baking if that's what you like, it's just not my preference.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 17

I use whatever is on sale - never noticed a difference, but I know there are die-hard fans of some brands. Unfortunately, I don't have any family recipes handed down through the ages! So, I just try various scratch recipes that are rated highly on different sites.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 17

I am a Pilsbury fan, I usually add a scoop of sour cream or flavor (cream bouquet or princess emulsion) and sometimes nothing. I haven't had the best luck from scratch so I prefer this.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 17

i buy whatever is cheapest between duncan hines, betty crocker, or store brand IF it does not have pudding already in the mix. i never buy pillsbury for this reason.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 17

Betty Crocker for almost 30 years and my customers all love it!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 17

Betty Crocker for me too, 20 years.

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 17

Duncan Hines for the last 32 years!

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #9 of 17

Duncan Hines and everyone raves. I Tried BC with no luck.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #10 of 17

Love Pilsbury. That's basically all I use unless I need a spice cake mix. Then it's duncan hines. I've never had any problems with it and it's cheaper than the other kinds.

jab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:53am
post #11 of 17

I use BC and have great luck with them. I do add about a tablespoon more or oil though to each mix. I too am a newbie to this and I absolutely LOVE it. Try all of them and you can make your own decision that works best for you in your area. GOOD LUCK.

jab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:54am
post #12 of 17

I use BC and have great luck with them. I do add about a tablespoon more or oil though to each mix. I too am a newbie to this and I absolutely LOVE it. Try all of them and you can make your own decision that works best for you in your area. GOOD LUCK.

jab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:04am
post #13 of 17

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:25am
post #14 of 17

Hi just came across your question. I use the Smart & Final brand cake mix. They come in large 6 lb bags choc/white/yellow cake mix which are very good and moist. They are also dense and not to light like box mixes. Actually I love box mixes for personal cakes I just want to eat at home not for customers. The bags are not tooo expensive either, around $6.89 and each bag gives you full sheet cake. So not too bad. Try it and see if it works for you.

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:34am
post #15 of 17

I didn't know smart and final had their own cake brand. Can people tell its a store bought cake mix?

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #16 of 17

No, which is why I prefer it. It has a different flavor and it's a heavier than reg cake mix. You should give it a try. I've added extracts to yellow and white cake mix to get different flavors and it's wonderful.

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:15am
post #17 of 17

Thank you for the tip! I actually went out last night and purchased it for a cake order. I loved how it rised evenly, I didn't have to waste any cake! With the other boxed cakes they were'nt rising evenly though I used the baking strips. Than you so much!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%