Rice Krispy Sculpture

Decorating By chefdot Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 8:55pm by chefdot

chefdot Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 11

OK So I have a cake that wants Shrek coming out of the cake, and just basically his head on the top part of his chest and his arms up. I was thinking of making the Shrek of rice krispies and then coating it in green candy melts but I am just not sure how smooth it will come out... I just didn't want to do it in fondant except for the accents like his eyes and such.
Can anyone give me some words of advise in this area?
Also, for the arms can I just put like a wooden dowel up the arms and then stick them into the torso?
Help! Kinda stressing about this!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

10 replies
tracycakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 11

Voice of experience from this weekend: make sure the rice krispy treats are fresh. Otherwise, they don't stick together. (yep, made 1 day,not used for a couple days....bad, bad, bad). It is not real smooth and some people suggest crushing the treats to make it smoother but, we won't go there. I had issues. I covered my head, made from RKT, in fondant but it was so rough, I had to put buttercream on first to smooth it out. I think it would be even worse with just candy melts. Maybe someone else has more experience than I do.

Edited to add:

What are you making the arms out of? If they were very heavy at all, you would have problems with the weight pulling it down through the cake.

chefdot Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 11

I am not sure what I would make the arms out of except for RKT... but if you have a better and lighter suggestion, please share.
I figured I would have to coat the RKT with a couple coats of candy melts to get the smoothness, but I read somewhere that someone did that.
I am really nervous about the cake cuz I have never been that artistic to sculpt something and if my dad lived out here I would get him to help me on it... plus I don't have alot of time to play around to see what works best since I got this order last minute. Ugh!

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 11

Make them out of carved styrofoam and cover with fondant... that's what I would do...

aligotmatt Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 11

I've used RKT's to sculpt quite a few things. I don't crush them, just make them like a big rkt, well without the butter. Then once I've carved what I need to carve, I melt almond bark - vanilla or chocolate flavored depending on the color of fondant or flavor of the cake, or what I have on hand. I don't give people an option for this flavor, so whatever works best for me. So then I use my fingers and smear on the melted almond bark and really get into all of the crevices. Try to smooth it a bit if you can, but don't stress too much. Once it's hardened put on another thin layer with a spatula to finish it and make everything smooth, the warm bark will melt down any awkward or jagged edges left from the first spackling coat. Then let it harden. If you have anything not smooth at this point, warm up a metal spatula in hot water, DRY IT, and use it to smooth it. Then to cover with fondant I roll out my fondant, spritz some water on the sculpture and carefully lay and simultaneously smooth the fondant. Hope that makes sense! Good luck.

chefdot Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 11

Guess there's no way for me to get away from using fondant, is there? Ugh!

mommy_of_3_DDs... how the heck do you even sculpt styrofoam without it getting everywhere?

aligotmatt Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 11

I think if you got green candy melts and were very dilligent, you could do it with that...

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:14am
post #8 of 11

For the styrofoam it will be messy and you can't avoid that... However once it is carved you can attach the fondant with some piping gel. I carve with a sharp knife and then smooth with sand paper... I do this outside or in my basement far from the kitchen!

chefdot Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 11

man this cake is getting more and more complicated and I so did not charge her enough!

tracycakes Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 11

I like your suggestions Aligotmat. I practiced with RKT for the first time over the weekend and I need to learn all I can.

chefdot Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:55pm
post #11 of 11

I just read on another thread that you can use the already prepackaged ones, microwave them for about 15 seconds or so and then they are able to be used. That will save me some time and clean up too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%