Cookies On A Stick

Baking By Tashablueyes Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 3:15am by Tashablueyes

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 15

Grrr! I am about to say to heck with the stick cookies, I've tried sticking them in warm cookies, putting them in cookies before baking, and even sandwiching them in between two cookies before baking, what gives? I can't get it to work. Do I have to make them REALLY incredibly thick and just bake them at like 300 degrees or something? Or do I need a new recipe? I've been using NFSC, and I'm sure many of you successfully use it for cookie pops, any tips?

THanks!

14 replies
kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 15

What is happening with the sticks? Are they falling out? Breaking out of the cookie? Cookie twirling on the stick?

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 15

Heres what I do - "Glue" the sticks onto the back of the baked cookie with RI. So much easier.

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:03am
post #4 of 15

When I make my NFSC on a stick I usually cut them a little bit thicker and just lay them on top of the stick. I don't even really press it in or anything. It just bakes around it. I haven't had any problems with that so far. **keeping my finers crossed** icon_lol.gif

Good luck,

Kim

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 15

Here is an idea that bakinccc posted about: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-600104.html I thought it was really creative!

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 15

Are your cookies thick enough? I roll mine 1/2" thick which makes plenty of room for putting in the sticks before baking.

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 15

I make mine pretty thick, about 1/2". I put the sticks in as soon as they come out of the oven. Never had a problem doing it this way.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 15

Oops! icon_redface.gif I blew it! I had mentioned bakinccc's same forum post idea in another posting and she posted this important information:

"TracyLH - I want to make sure people know that I wouldn't really recommend drilling holes in cookies as a regular thing. thumbsdown.gif Very nerve-wracking!!! It only helped me in a very difficult bind so if you're in that situation you could try that instead of starting over. thumbs_up.gif "

SO very sorry that I passed on incorrect info! icon_redface.gif

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 15

TracyLH - no problem...everyone's just trying to help everyone!!!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 15

Lately I've been using the "extra dough" trick on the back of the cookie, and it seems to be working better than any other method I've tried. I insert the stick into the cookie (rolled about 3/icon_cool.gif and then stick it into the freezer for about 5 minutes. Then when it's nice and firm, I flip it over, take a little extra dough, and wake a "wormy" thing (like you did when you played with play dough as a kid) and place it over the back of the cookie where the stick went in, even if I can't see the stick. I gently pat it into place, then flip it back over. It won't sit flat, but it won't matter...when you bake it, the dough just "melts" into the rest of the cookie, and you don't even notice it. It gives extra thickness to the area where the stick went it, and has worked out well for me. BUT...I do try to avoid cookies on sticks like the plague!! lol
Best of luck in your endeavors!

Tashablueyes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 15

Yeah, I did some at about 1/2 and 3/4 inch thick and they stayed okay in the super nasty thick ones, but they also browned a lot even at 325... and a few of them STILL broke! So annoyed. I will try just sticking them into the hot cookies next time... and then try the royal icing thing, it's just such a waste! In case you can't tell (I also posted the Mickey cookie post) I am having a bad cookie week, and I'm not even charging yet, this is pricey!

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 15

I've only made the NFSC twice and the first time I tried both techniques of inserting the stick to the warm cookie and baking the cookie with the stick in it and they all fell or broke. 2nd time I got the stick wet, only the part that goes into the cookie and they were all fine and not even one fell. This is what the lady from the bakery told me when I bought the cookie cutter : )
Sheila

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 15

I'm sure you've thought of this, but I don't actually put my cookies on sticks, the sticks are on my bag.
Just a thought, in a pinch.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:08am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

Grrr! I am about to say to heck with the stick cookies, I've tried sticking them in warm cookies, putting them in cookies before baking, and even sandwiching them in between two cookies before baking, what gives? I can't get it to work. Do I have to make them REALLY incredibly thick and just bake them at like 300 degrees or something? Or do I need a new recipe? I've been using NFSC, and I'm sure many of you successfully use it for cookie pops, any tips?

THanks!

Take a look at this. I did a mini-tutorial on this before.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-20377-cookies.html+cutters

Tashablueyes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:15am
post #15 of 15

Thanks Cake_Princess, I think I will try that, I am sick of paying for cutters and not using them when there are tons of shapes I want to try! Also, I think the chilling may be exactly what my cookies need. Wish me luck, I'll be trying this soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%