Need To Make Cake Balls/truffles Tonight!

Decorating By cakes4ck Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 12:57am by jlo6024

cakes4ck Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, I made it through the weekend with my son's birthday party and finished the army tank cake. My son of course wants cupcakes or something for school tomorrow on his birthday. Since I have scraps and extra cake left I thought I might try these cake balls or cake truffles. I was thinking of making balloons or something out of them. Or the ice cream cone thing looks cute too. Or is there something else you would recommend for a 7 year old? So, how do I go about doing these? What is the best way? I saw a how to on the main page. Is this how you do them or some other way?

PS. I tried doing a search for them but it wouldn't work. Sorry if this has been covered.

2 replies
pottedmeatchunks Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:45am
post #2 of 3

hi there ck!

If its your first time I wouldnt recommend the cake balls recipe on the main page. A lot of people find the regular cake ball recipe to make cake mush and be not too appetizing. I modified the recipe for my own personal use and dry out my cake balls in the oven before dipping, but even then I think they only taste good chilled or theyre still quite mushy.

I think the ice cream cones were cute. Another idea is something my grocery store recently started doing with their cake scrap which i think is totally genious. They cube cake scrap and layer it with buttercream and sprinkles on top to make a little cake and icing parfait. You could get those cheapy plastic bathroom cups and make a couple dozen for your son's class and even stick spoons in them!

jlo6024 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 3

Well, I didn't read that whole thing on the front page, but it sounds WAAAAAAAAAY more difficult than the way I do it. I crumb up the cake, mix just enough buttercream to be able to "ball" them and make them form a shape, then take a melonballer and form your cake balls, place on a cookie sheet. Stick them in the freezer for about 15 minutes while you melt chocolate or candy melts. Take them out of the freezer, dip them with a toothpick, then either use a piping bag with chocolate to cover up the little hole the toothpick makes or just "squiggle" them with another color. Takes no time at all, they'll be dry by morning. You could even put them on skwers and leave them like lollypops, or freehand faces on them or something. Hope that helps!
There are some cakeball pictures in my pics if you need/want to take a look! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%