Butterfly Cake

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 8:55pm by MeliaJ

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 3

I posted this under the Ideas Thread too, but hopefully I'll get some ideas here as well.

I am going to be making my daughters b-day cake later this month, I'm a newbie at decorating and wanted to find some edible butterfly decorations to add to the cake, as I know I'm ready to tackle detailed stuff like that. Does anyone have any good website recommendations on where to find stuff like that?

Thanks

2 replies
eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 3

How about some wafer paper butterflies? They're super easy to do. I know that there are preprinted butterfly wafer paper designs on sugar sites. OR you can just trace the butterfly onto the wafer paper yourself and color in w/ edible markers. If you want some sparkle spread a very thin layer of piping gel w/ a paintbrush and sprinkle w/ edible glitter. Pipe a royal icing body and voila! Beautiful butterflies! I use a folded notecard w/ a strip of wax paper in the center, pipe the body and place the cut out wings into the icing and let it dry so it looks more realistic. You can use stamens for antennas (did I spell that right?)
HTH,
Melanie Mc.

P.S I just found an article here that'll help!
http://www.cakecentral.com/article16-how-to-make-realistic-edible.html

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks, I've not tried the paper before, I will definitly have to practice!

Thanks for your help....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%