Turntables

Decorating By wildflower Updated 22 Apr 2013 , 10:37pm by ThePieMaker

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 10

hi there
im finally ready to invest in a good turntable but am at a loss as to what one to get
originally i was planning on getting the wilton tilting turntable but just recently saw a thread where many ppl said they were disappointed with it
i was hoping you guys could give me some insight as to what u have found to be good so i can get a better idea of what to look for
tia!

9 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 10

I would get a commercial grade (such as Ateco) with a cast iron base and aluminum deck (I believe the Ateco model # is 612). They run about $60-70

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 10

I'd be lost without my Atecos. Best, in my opinion.

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 10

Hi Wildflower - do not purchase the Wilton Tilting Turntable. It's a piece of junk. Its only redeeming quality IS that it turns. Other than that, its flimsy, doesn't tilt easily at all and is wobbly at all times.

I don't know of another one that tilts but if you're looking for a new one, buy one with a cast iron base and aluminum table. Careful how you carry it tho - once dropped the base on my foot when I grabbed it by the table only.

A.

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:48am
post #5 of 10

thnx all for the replies!
i recently saw that wilton came out with a "professiona "turntable that looks to be made with aluminum or something,has anyone tried that?
if thats passble then ill suffice with that one for now or else im off to find where i can get an ateco one
thnx again!icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #6 of 10

I love my ateco (I haven't seen the wilton one yet), hate my wilton tilting table unless I have to write on the sides of a cake, and I like my shorter stable Wilton turntable. And then I have this big turntable that I got from Ikea that I think is for the centre of your table for condiments. Some days I use 3 at time. icon_smile.gif

If I was buying just one, I'd get the ateco or I think Fat Daddios makes a similar one.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:21am
post #7 of 10

My turntable is made by Magic Line and I bought it used on ebay for $20. I love it. I use both Magic Line and Ateco at work. Just make sure the bottom is cast iron. You need that weight. Light weight turntables tip when you have a cake on it if the cake isn't centered perfectly.

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:27am
post #8 of 10

I don't make too many cakes, but I'd be lost without my Ikea turntable. It's just under $10!

ThePieMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePieMaker Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 10

Hi CakeQueen, which model did you buy ? was it the 612 or 613 ?

thanks for any info.

I want to buy an Ateco, but don't know what to go with.  The 613 has ball bearings, and the older 612 seems NOT to have that on it, and seems to wobble.

I'm frustrated :-( because there is just no info out there.   Ateco's website is just terrible, looks like it hasn't been updated sin 2006. 

Thanks for any information :-)

ThePieMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePieMaker Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 10

Hi loreig, what model of Ateco did you purchase ?

was it the 612 or 613 ?

thanks for any information

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%