Help!!! Gumpaste Teacup And Saucer!!

Decorating By forthwife Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 5:16am by ceshell

forthwife Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 8

My mother in law is visiting us for her 60th birthday, and I want to make her a special cake. I've decided to make a gumpaste teacup and saucer (since she's a collector). I am using a plastic toy cup and saucer to mold them. Should I roll the gumpaste out, then place it in the cup (difficult) and saucer (easy)? Or put a ball of gumpaste in the cup and press it to the cup (easy) and saucer? Also, how to I keep this stuff from sticking once it's dry? I did a test last night by pressing it into the cup, and had very uneven thickness. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

7 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 8

Ok, so your experiment tells you that you should roll your paste out before molding it.

Now, in order to keep it from sticking, you would do what you do when you roll it out - you either grease the inside of the cup or you dust the paste liberally with cornstarch or PS on the side which will touch the mold.

Personally, I would get some cooking spray and spray the inside of the cup, wiping out most of the spray before putting the paste in it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

forthwife Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 8

I am noticing some people mix fondant with gumpaste, would I benefit from doing this for the teacups? Also, what is the reason for mixing the two? Thanks!!

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry, but I can't answer that one. I do not mix them.

Perhaps someone else can enlighten us both.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Erika2000 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 8

Mixing gumpaste and fondant will dry harder and faster than just fondant - I live in Florida and mix the two for virtually all modeling, flower, etc. It's just too humid here to use only fondant. icon_smile.gif

forthwife Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:05am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika2000

Mixing gumpaste and fondant will dry harder and faster than just fondant - I live in Florida and mix the two for virtually all modeling, flower, etc. It's just too humid here to use only fondant. icon_smile.gif

I too live in Florida (Orlando). How has your luck been with MMF? I've made it several times, not as matte as store bought...and cracks some (maybe I add too much powdered sugar?) but the taste is MUCH better than Wilton's. Have you ever molded a teacup, and did you have luck?

Erika2000 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:10am
post #7 of 8

I have never made MMF...something I want to try. I don't use Wilton fondant....don't like the taste, but I do like both Satin Ice and Fondarific. I have to use a little more gumpaste with the Fondarific. Oh, and no, sorry, I have not made a teacup.

ceshell Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:16am
post #8 of 8

The main reason to mix 50/50 is if you think it will take a while to model a figure; adding in the fondant to your gumpaste slows the drying time to give you more time to work; whereas straight fondant figures can take forever to dry and can lose their shape before the fondant has time to dry out and set. The Remy in my avatar was made with 50/50. Fondant never would have dried in time and all of his features would have collapsed back into the fondant mass; however he took a long time to craft and straight gp would have dried out on me before I could have gotten the shape "just right".

For what you are describing I personally would be more likely to try straight gp since you are basically only rolling it out and pressing it into/onto the cup, not spending 25 minutes fenangling it into some shape. You actually want it to dry fast and have less moisture (compared to fondant) to limit that sticking problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%