How To Keep The Cake Fresh & From Drying Out

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 5

I have a cake order for Sept. 9th. I planned on baking on Sunday, wrapping up the cake in saran wrap several times (about 5 layers) and freezing it overnight. Then on Monday morning, I was planning on taking it out of the freezer and letting it thaw out while at work. Monday night I planned on decorating it and on Tuesday morning I was going to deliver it.

They now want to pick up the cake Monday evening. That means I would need to bake Sunday morning, wrap up and chill the cakes for a couple hours (in the fridge), and then decorate Sunday afternoon/evening. I work during the day and can't do it Monday, and there is no way I can decorate the cake after work Monday evening and have them pick it up by 9:00.

I offered to deliver it to the hotel first thing Tuesday morning (before work) so I can do all the decorating on Monday, but in case they say they really want to pick it up Monday night, what is the best way to keep it fresh and from drying out between Sunday and Tuesday in the fridge unwrapped. Do I use a simple syrup, would putting saran wrap over the fully decorated cake help, etc? It's a white cake (I'm going to use the WASC) with fresh strawberry filling so I'll need to keep it in the fridge in the box. Overnight didn't concern me, but 2 nights does. And, it will be iced in a crusting BC, so no extra protection with fondant. Am I over analyzing this? I'm a freakin' worry wart when it comes to my cakes being dry.

Thanks!

4 replies
amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 5

From what I've been told, as long as it's iced you have "sealed" in the moisture so it should be fine for a few days.....not saying that icing will seal in moisture for a week or two but I'm sure 2 or 3 days will be fine.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 5

I dont have room in my frige. I just put them in a cool or AC room. The icing will seal in the berries and IMHO it will be fine. I ALWAYS do Thursday to Saturday never a problem at all.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 5

Adding a simple syrup, plus covering it with frosting shoud be fine. I have been reliably told that cakes can keep moist for up to seven days and I have also found this to be true. I think you will be okay to stick with your plan.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 5

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I AM GOING TO DO IT ON SUNDAY THEN. LESS STRESS OF HAVING TO DECORATE THE NIGHT BEFORE.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%