Why Is This Happening?

Decorating By Cynita Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 5:16pm by Texas_Rose

Cynita Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, everytime I use gumpaste/fondant to do any type of molding, especially when trying to make a round head, my fondant starts to crack. I can never get a complete smooth surface. I use lots of crisco so that it doesn't dry out, so the fondant isn't dry at all but it still cracks. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. How can I avoid these cracks.
Also, how can I dry my pieces without them losing their shape. After I shape and mold my pieces, how do I prop them without them being smushed by it's own weight?
TIA,
Cynita

2 replies
Cynita Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 3

any help, please

Texas_Rose Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 3

When I make a round head, I usually form the shape, let it dry, then roll out a piece of fondant (or gumpaste) and smooth it over the shape for that nice smooth surface. I also use lollipops or gumballs as centers to help with the weight and to fill up some space so I don't use as much fondant or gumpaste.

I've noticed it helps to build things in stages...do part of it, let it dry, add another part, let that dry, and so on...so that the weight doesn't smoosh it. It's not easy for me to do it that way because I'm fairly impatient. I'm thinking of making some fondant sticks to use as support, then I could just dry a bunch and have them on hand when I want to use them...just build the figure on the dried fondant stick and I think it wouldn't smoosh then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%