Foodsafe Pvc Glue

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 9:38pm by tracycakes

tracycakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 16

I am making a 3D cake using PVC as the support. I made a test cake over the weekend and when I was bringing it to work today, it fell over in the back of the car and I've discovered that I need to make it a little sturdier. I've used screws in some places but in my class with Bronwen Weber, she mentioned a foodsafe pvc glue but she never mentioned the name of it. Is anyone familiar with it? I've done some searches but I haven't found one that is foodsafe. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

15 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 16

I would think that since transferring potable water is the main objective of PVC pipe, that all PVC glue should be food-safe. I could be wrong.

Have you contacted her to ask her directly? I do not recall this subject ever being discussed here on CC before. I would like to know if there's a particular or preferred brand, also.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks Playingwithsugar! I looked online and the only cement I could find said that it shouldn't be used next to food which I also found surprising since it's used for potable water. I couldn't find anything on CC either. I thught I would email The Frosted Art if I couldn't find it some other way but I'm a big chicken.

iamlis Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 16

Yes, she does use a specific glue I have heard her reference it before in her classes, EMAIL HER! She'll get back with you regarding the name, and she did say numerous times in the classes, "email me if you have a question!" She seems so nice, i bet either her or Heather will get back with you!

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 16

I agree. If you have taken a class with any instructor, it is their responsibility to respond to any follow-up questions you have.

I have never studied under her, but I have been told by many that she is highly cordial and will respond as soon as possible.

If you're still chicken, send me a PM and let me know. I'll gladly do it for you, then post the answer here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks, I appreciate it! I'll "gird my loins" and just do it. That's a phrase I've never used before. icon_lol.gif She was very nice in class and I'm sure she would answer and be very sweet.

mamacc Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 16

I agree....e mail her! And then post the answer here because I want to knowicon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 16

OK! I'll email her now and post the answer. thumbs_up.gif

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 16

i'd like to know too

tracycakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 16

I did send the email so I will post her response once I get it.

Superstar2 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 16

I too am curious as to the name of this PVC glue.

Chefperl Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:33pm
post #12 of 16

My hubby is a master plumber and this is what he said.
Yes, water does travel through the PVC and once it dries it is fine. Is it FDA approved, NO.

tracycakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks Chefperl!

tracycakes Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:10pm
post #14 of 16

Woohoo!!! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif I feel special now. thumbs_up.gif

I received a phone call from Francois, Bronwen's assistant and fiance. He was at our class in Little Rock, so I knew who he was.

The PVC glue that they use is Oadey and you get it in the plumbing section at the hardware store. It doesn't say foodsafe because you should use it on cutting boards and such, but it's okay. It's heavy duty and clear. After Chefperl responded yesterday, I figured that's what they would say, but at least they confirmed what they use.

So, guess I'm making another trip to Lowe's. thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:22pm
post #15 of 16

????? Do you mean OATEY glue????

http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/1/All_Purpose_Cement.html

"Medium-bodied milky clear cement for ABS, PVC or CPVC up to 6" diameter.
Recommended for pipe and fittings Sch. 40 and Sch. 80, potable water, pressure pipe, gas, conduit and DWV.
Recommended application temperature 40° F to 100° F.
Meets performance requirements of ASTM D-2564, D-2235, F-493. "

Or is it something else, entirely???

Rae

tracycakes Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:38pm
post #16 of 16

That's it! It sounded like he said "Odie" but I knew it was spelled with "oa".

Since it says it is good for potable water, It would be okay for cake. Sounds logical to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%