Ice Cream Cake

Decorating By tnval Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 5:59pm by tnval

tnval Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnval Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:59am
post #1 of 4

How do I make an ice cream cake? Is there suppose to be any cake at all or just ice cream? After the cake is done do I just use regular buttercream to ice and decorate it? How do you keep it from melting while decorating. Please help..any advice is definitely welcome!
Thanks for your time and God Bless! icon_confused.gif

3 replies
mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 4

There are 2 ways you could do it. one with icecream layered with cake which you could find directions on this site under the "article" tab...or you could do the ice cream cake the dairy cream way either way i would decorate with stabilized whipped cream:

Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake
Butter the cake pan of your choice, then press wax paper over the bottom of the pan.

If using Dairy Queen ice cream, spread it in the bottom of the pan. If you are using any other ice cream, allow it to soften, then spread on the bottom of pan until the pan is almost half full. Sprinkle with crushed Oreo cookies, then spoon hot fudge sauce (at room temperature) over the top of this. Set in freezer until frozen.

Remove from freezer and add second layer of ice cream. Smooth it evenly with the top of the cake pan. Return to the freezer and freeze until very hard.

Remove from freezer and frost with a mixture of equal parts ice cream and thawed frozen whipped topping beaten together. Return to freezer until serving time.

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 4

Hello and welcome to CC!! I just made an ice cream cake about two weeks ago for the first time. Here are my instructions:

1/2 gallon ice cream (any flavor)
I used one box mix for a 10x10 square pan, you can use the equivalent of whatever you usually use

1. Bake one layer of a 10x10 square and then freeze.
2. Let the ice cream soften (not melt) and spread into another (or the same) foil lined pan as was used for the cake. Freeze as well.
3. When both are completely frozen put the cake on the bottom on your cake board, unmold the ice cream and put on top of the cake. You have to work quickly or the ice cream will melt!! I don't put any icing in between the layers, I think that is too much ice cream AND icing together. If the ice cream is melting put back in the freezer for a little bit to re-freeze.
4. Again working very quickly, ice the cake as usual with buttercream (or any other kind of icing you prefer, but the buttercream worked really well for me, I use Buttercream Dream from this site). I didn't worry about getting it REALLY smooth, it wasn't going to happen without the ice cream melting.
5. Decorate as usual and if it starts to melt you can always just pop it in the freezer for a little bit. I had to divide the icing part by doing the base, then going back a little while later and doing the decorations.
6. Take out of the freezer about 10 minutes before serving. This cake seemed to melt quicker than the ones I have bought in the store.

Sorry no picture... it was for my boyfriend's birthday and by the time I realized I forgot to take a picture, it was half gone!! Oopps...

I hope this helps!!

tnval Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnval Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks a ton for your descriptive suggestions..............I'll try them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%