Over Night Buttercream ?

Decorating By Peeg Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 12:57pm by indydebi

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:28am
post #1 of 8

I'm in a pinch and not much time. Can I make the BC today and leave it on the counter or refrigerate until Wednesday? I know that I read somewhere that this can be done, am I right? Thanks to all..

7 replies
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:51am
post #2 of 8

Yes, especially if it's a crisco/butter based buttercream. Though, you can use the SMBC and IMBC next day too, but I'd feel better refrigerating those. If refrigerated, you'll need to let it return to room temp, then possibly it'll be necessary to rewhip before use. Be sure any of it is placed into an airtight container for storage.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:19am
post #3 of 8

Yep, I leave reg. buttercream out for a few days...used to refridgerate it, but then I'd have to let it come to room temp, and then remix. Leaving it out (covered of course) works just fine for me icon_smile.gif

NiteOwl4evr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiteOwl4evr Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:42am
post #4 of 8

I always make my buttercream ahead of time. Cover it and leave it on the counter unless I am using it for piping borders and such then I want it cold. I just hate to make it the same day as I am baking cakes. I like to have it ready and waiting for ME!! icon_lol.gif

dianasweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianasweetcake Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:35am
post #5 of 8

When leaving your buttercream out does your recipe use milk, butter and eggs? I worry about it going bad or separating if using butter? Please advise what recpie allows for leaving our of fridge? thanks!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #6 of 8

The only ingredient you need to worry about is eggs. Milk &/or butter are preserved by the sugar content in recipes containing Crisoc; butter; sugar; milk; and salt.
I have never made any other icing so can't say how they will fare.

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:17am
post #7 of 8

Hello

I use SMBC and IMBC and I leave them over night at room temp and they are fine. Two days is the longest I will do , but I have left it for 3 days w/o problems but thats pushing it. It doesn't work if you leave it in a hot place like direct sunlight , it will be too soft to use or melt , I've never had it separate though.

I really like to whip it from the fridge. Just put it in the mixer cold and whip it on high until its soft , about 7 - 8 min. It's still cool enough to hold shape and soft enough to pipe nicely.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 8

I also like the icing to be ready and waiting for me when I'm ready to ice the cake. I will make it sometimes a week in advance....it's in a food-safe container, covered, on my counter. Any leftover sits on the counter until it's used up. (when I make a new batch, I mix in the leftover icing, so it's all a uniform consistency/color).

This is the recipe I use ... p.sugar/ milk/crisco/vanilla/dream whip: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%