Attaching Ribbon

Decorating By ClaireUK Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm by lorrieg

ClaireUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClaireUK Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:34am
post #1 of 13

Hi, I'm still a newbie to cake decorting and i have just made my first wedding cake, they wanted very plain with just ribbon around the bottom of each tier, as it is the only colour on the cake i want to make sure its on properly.

Any tips on the best way to attach it?

thanks
Claire

12 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:39am
post #2 of 13

Are you using edible ribbon? If so, you just wind it around the cake. The fondant will stick easily. Fabric ribbon isn't food safe.

ClaireUK Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:51am
post #3 of 13

It is fabric ribbon, satin, how come its not safe? they sell it on the cake decorating supplies websites in the UK I would have thought if it wasn't safe they wouldn't sell it?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:56am
post #4 of 13

Hi Claire, welcome to CC. I gather you are UK. You can attach the ribbon's by wetting a bit. I haven't done it myself. This is what I have read.

thumbs_up.gif

ClaireUK Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:59am
post #5 of 13

I have some edible glue but don't want to stain the ribbon or anything, perhaps i will just have to trial a bit with water and a bit with glue. thanks

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:04am
post #6 of 13

Claire, you can just wrap it around the cake and attach it at the back with a bit of icing. icon_smile.gif

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:54am
post #7 of 13

Hi Claire from another UK lady - where are you??
With the ribbon, either attach with RI like the previous poster said - you only need a bit. Or you can wet the ribbon like Bashini said, just be a bit careful if the ribbon is a bright colour and your fondant is pale as it might leave a colour mark. If you use sugarpaste glue you might discover it leaves a tidemark around it which looks a bit grim.
Hope that helps!!
Jenny

ClaireUK Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:56am
post #8 of 13

Hi I am in South Yorkshire, thanks for the tips think i will try RI

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:16pm
post #9 of 13

Hi Claire,

When Leahs commented that fabric ribbon is not food safe......she means that the dyes from the ribbon could bleed into the BC or fondant that it's covering.

What I do for safetys sake...I agree with Leahs on this one, is I measure the amount of ribbon needed for each tier. I than lay it out on my counter right side down......I use clear tape to "line" the ribbon so that it is the tape that is against the cake and not the ribbon. This prevents the dyes from the ribbon from running onto the cake surface. I than apply RI onto the tape (just a bit) and that helps secure the ribbon/tape to the cake.

Good luck and post a picture when your done, I'd love to see it.
Deb

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #10 of 13

I don't generally use fabric myself, but you can fasten it in the back with a nice pearl-headed pin.

lorrieg Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 13

The UK has been putting pretty ribbons around their cakes for decades and I can't remember a single food poisioning or death related to ribbon. icon_lol.gif Sugarpaste is used on most cakes unlike North America and I think the chance it will bleed is pretty small. Plus their ribbons seem to be the material that doesn't even soak up buttercream much. i can't recall what fabric that is.

You can iron greaseproof(waxed paper) on the back or put a strip behind the cake.

I usually fold the end over to make it neater and sometimes add a bow (simple flat one) or run sugar initial of the recipient or maybe a tiny butterfly attached with icing. thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 13

[quote="lorrieg"]The UK has been putting pretty ribbons around their cakes for decades and I can't remember a single food poisioning or death related to ribbon. icon_lol.gif

I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for the first one icon_razz.gif

I'm more concerned with the color bleeding onto my light BC/fondant than the danger of poisoning. I was just clarifying what Leah meant when she said fabric ribbon isn't "food safe".

lorrieg Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #13 of 13

dkelley27 I hadn't even seen your comment when I made mine. I never even thought of bleeding because aren't most UK cakes fondant and that would be dry most likely?

I wouldn't want you to be responsible for the first death either. Even though you would have your ten minutes of fame and we could cite your example on CC forever! You could become an urban legend.

I'm jealous you can buy the ribbons in the cake shops. I have to drive 45 min to a poorly stocked cake shop (only one in the area at all) and mail order everything else. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%