Question About Toba's Glaze

Baking By amoos Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 1:09pm by giraffe11

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:24am
post #1 of 9

Hiya.....I want to attempt my first batch of NFSC this weekend for a picnic. Unfortunately I don't have any meringue powder or powdered egg whites and no possibility to get them. So, I thought i'd try Toba's Glaze, but will it get hard enough to outline then fill in or how should I do it? Are their other icing recipes out there that doesn't require the meringue powders??? Thanks!!!!

8 replies
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:52am
post #2 of 9

Hi there...there are 2 stores on my side that have online winkels: www.maakjetaart.nl and www.piece-cake.nl. You can get meringue powder (eiwit poeder) from either of them.

Also, you can make Royal Icing with pasteurized egg whites. One recipe: http://www.joyofbaking.com/RoyalIcing.html... or Google for some other ones.

Give me a call, if there is anything I can grab and ship to you. 0615491327

~Tanja

amoos Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:08am
post #3 of 9

Thanks! I appreciate the offer. I can easily get the stuff, I'd just have to order it and don't have the time. Do you happen to know of any cake shops in Uden or Eindhoven? I've never seen them, then again, I never go shopping. Just hoping to try Toba's, as everyone says how good it is, but was wondering about the consistancy. Might try it anyway, if it doesn't work, I found a recipe off the site you gave me using fresh egg whites. Thanks again!!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:33am
post #4 of 9

I forgot about this gal's shop in Jisp: http://www.deleukstetaartenshop.nl/

Do you ever check out www.infoTaartje.nl? It seems to be the most complete source of shops, etc in Holland. There is a list of Noord Brabant shops...hopefully something is near you!

Best of luck...be sure to show off your goodies when done!!! thumbs_up.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, you can outline and fill in. Kneadacookie decorates all her cookies with Toba's glace'.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-kneadacookie.html

amoos Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:54am
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all your help. Did the cookies last night, although I totally underestimated the amount of work and TIME it takes! Started them around 8 and finally finished around 11. I LOVED the cookie dough though, it was a dream to work with. Had a few problems trying to "figure" out the icing, but in the end it worked ok. How do you keep from bubbles forming in the icing and what's a good way to ice the cookie. I tried doing the outline, but my outlines weren't very straight. Also, flooding it was such a mess!!!! I had the icing dripping out of the bad so I was covered in the glaze, HAHA. Anyway, I'm still pretty happy with these though, being my first time. Thanks again for all your help!!
LL

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 9

You did a really great job -- and it's your first??!! Your outlines look good from the picture. You might want to try squeeze bottles. They will definitely help with the mess.
Like these here:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E310280-475A-BAC0-5E93DEB3041892C7&fid=3E32C58C-475A-BAC0-5685648CD9456128

I have never figured a way to avoid air bubbles in my icing. I mix in the color and then let it sit for a few minutes while I set everything up. Then I stir gently. It helps, but doesn't eliminate them completely. I keep a toothpick/ cocktail stick handy and just poke the bubbles when they happen.

HTH!

amoos Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the tip.....duh, I never thought about squeeze bottles and I have about 6 of them!!! That would definately save on the cleanup process icon_smile.gif

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 9

Oh your cookies turned out so cute. Good job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%