Help!! Have Many Questions For This Cake

Decorating By HipnotiqGlamour Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm by Deb_

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:03am
post #1 of 7

Okay so I have this cake due THIS weekend. Its for a quinceanera the sizes are 12'' 10'' 8''. First question is I have 2'' thick pans for a tiered cake would I do 3, 2'' cakes per tier???

I would have the 8 inch top tier on pillars the the bottom two together. They want butter cream with fondant accents.. OKAY next question... they want the letter A on the top tier, ive seen people do this before...do you make this out of gumpaste or fondant and how do you adhere it to the cake?

I understand this is kind of a big project for me seeing how i just started making tiered cakes but I let them know im a newbie and they didnt mind lol.

Also..im still learning on dowels and pillars.. how would I assemble this cake? OMG im freaking out here HELP!!!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:27am
post #2 of 7

......I have 2'' thick pans for a tiered cake would I do 3, 2'' cakes per tier???...
Most tiers are 4" tall so you would do two 2" tiers. Filling is put between the two.
......letter A on the top tier, .do you make this out of gumpaste or fondant and how do you adhere it to the cake? ........
Gumpaste is best. Make it a few days ahead so it dries well. Put toothpicks on the back so you can push them into the cake & they will stand up.

.......still learning on dowels and pillars.. how would I assemble this cake........
You put straws in the lowest tier - about 6 or 8 of them around a 9" circle where the 10" cake will go.
Do not put any in the center - just around in a circle. Then in the 10" cake you put 3 or 4 straws in an 8" circle for the top tier to rest on.

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:07am
post #3 of 7

Now if im putting the 8 inch cake on pillars do I still do the same to the middle tier?

Thank you btw with all the help!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:07am
post #4 of 7

If you still have time to order, then use SPS to support the cake. If not, then look for the wilton hidden pillars. Youll probably be using Wilton products to create the separation anyway.

I talked to a venue manager Saturday that was complaining about cake decorators who use straws and how she hates that more than anything.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 7

Hi,

Definitely use the hidden pillars from wilton....I hate cutting into a cake and finding straws and dowels, there is always the chance that the person cutting the cake may not see one and it gets served. icon_eek.gif

When I use the hidden pillars I purchase the plastic cake plates from Wilton that fit right into the pillars. (they have 4 prongs on the bottom that slide right into the top of the pillars). Just purchase the size that matches your cake. So in this case you will need a 10" and an 8".

First frost your layers....take the 10" plate and line it up on your bottom layer, pressing gently this will leave 4 marks from the prongs. Remove the plate and insert one hidden pillar in one of the 4 marks. (be sure you press it all the way down til you feel it hit your board). At this point if I want the middle tier to look like it is resting right on top of the bottom tier, I make a mark in the pillar about 1/4" above the surface of the cake. Cut all of your pillars for this tier at this length (Be sure you make level cuts) and place all 4 in the cake. Place the 10" plate on top, pressing slightly so that the prongs fit in snugly. The great thing about stacking this way is that the bottom layer's frosting does not get disturbed because the middle is not directly on top of it, but, it looks like it is. Pipe your border around the bottom of the 10" and your all set.
Follow the same instructions for the 8", except your pillars will be longer.

If your placing your cakes on cardboard first and not right onto the plastic plates, use RI or BC on the plastic plate and than place the cardboard bottomed cake on top of that, this will help it from sliding. Definitely assemble it at the venue if your doing it this way. Have the pillars in place and than all you have to do is place the tiers and pipe the borders.

I'm sorry this is so long but I wanted to be as clear as possible. If you have any questions you can pm me or e-mail me. [email protected]

Good luck thumbs_up.gif
Deb

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 7

Okay I know this sounds dumb but what do hidden pillars look like?
SPS??

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 7

[quote="HipnotiqGlamour"]Okay I know this sounds dumb but what do hidden pillars look like?

I think the correct name is Plastic Dowels by Wilton, I just bought some today from Michael's. They're just white plastic tubes that can be cut to size. At least that's what I call hidden pillars. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%