Fondant Flowers

Baking By SweetDreamsAT Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 5:26pm by mjarvis78

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:00am
post #1 of 18

I would like to make little fondant flowers to put on top of my cupcakes. I've never worked with fondant before, but I have some cutters already. I bought some pre-made Wilton fondant today, and I have to say that it tastes disgusting. Is it possible to make flowers out of MMF? (I've heard that it has a good flavor) Or is there a recipe someone can recommend that is good for making little flowers?

17 replies
CakeFrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeFrog Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:18am
post #2 of 18

I like using MMF I've used it quite a bit, it does taste better, and its inexpensive, quick to make too. Little flowers would work I think.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 18

All my flowers are made out of MMF. So are my loopy bows and little people...it works great.

Really small flowers can go on the cupcakes right away, but if you've got something big or something that you want to be curved or to stand out from the cupcake, it's better to make them a day in advance so they will dry first.

SweetDreamsAT Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 18

Thank you! icon_smile.gif I've always been nervous about working with fondant, so this will be a good start. Its so nice to know I have CC for support.
Thanks again.

jackiee70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackiee70 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:23am
post #5 of 18

Hi Sweetdreams,

I made the flowers in those cupcakes with a fondant i make; i do not like the premade fondant taste.
I really like to make my own fondant, not MMF, because for me is a little bit sticky... i use gelatin and syrop Karo.
Do you want the recipe...

Jackie

CakeFrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeFrog Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:18am
post #6 of 18

I don't know about sweet dreams, but I want the recipe, those look great!!
icon_biggrin.gif I wanna try it especially if its better.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:58am
post #7 of 18

Can I have the recipe as well? Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 18

I would like the recipe too please! I tried the mmf and didn't really like it too much. Sticky like you said, so I haven't tried it again. I just buy Satin Ice now. If I could make it though that would save me some $$$$ which is always a good thing! More money to spend on other baking stuff!!! thumbs_up.gif It's a win win!!! icon_lol.gif

SweetDreamsAT Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 18

I definitely want to try your recipe! I used the MMF, and it seemed to come out o.k. I only have Wilton's to compare it to, and I generally don't like fondant, or frosting for that matter (I know that's weird - I just like decorating with it) My kids loved it, of course icon_wink.gif
I posted a picture in my photos of the finished product. Thank you all for your guidance. Oh, the cupcakes are lemon buttermilk from the cupcake club thread, with SMBC.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 18

LOL!! I thought I was losing my mind! I was just on that other thread and looked at your pics! Love them! I was looking all back through that thread to find where you asked about the flowers. I thought I'd recognized your screen name. I couldn't find it (of course icon_rolleyes.gif ) and thought that maybe I'd dreamt it up!! icon_lol.gif Sorry for the ramble!! icon_lol.gif

jackiee70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackiee70 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:08am
post #11 of 18

Hi,

This is a recipe for fondant with ingredients you can find at any supermarket

Homemade FONDANT

2 pounds of icing sugar
1 envelope of Unflavored Gelatine (i use KNOX )
1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of syrop KARO
1 teaspoon of flavor (vanilla, rum)

Disolve the gelatin in the ¼ cup of water and let it rest for 5 minuts. Set a double boiler (Maria bath) and mix in it the gelatine with the syrop Karo and the flavor, until they are well mixed (donât let it boil).
Divide the 2 pounds or icing sugar in two equal portions ( 1 pound and 1 pound)
In a mixer put the gelatin-syrop mix, and add 1 pound of sugar. Mix until form a cream..
In your countertop put the other 1 of sugar and knead with the cream.. Knead, knead, knead⦠until is white.
Keep it in a close bag to storage at room temperature for 2 -3 days.

Kharvey if you have to make any modifications so it can be more clear, feel free to do it,

SweetDreamsAT Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:16am
post #12 of 18

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe Jackiee70! I look forward to giving it a try. I can see getting into fondant, now that I'm starting to get over the intimidation.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 18

I use a lot of fondant and a few weeks ago, I decided to try the different versions that seem so popular on CC. I came back to my Rhonda's Ultimate recipe that works so well for me to make flowers and cover cookies. It is never sticky and holds whatever shape I cut it into without shrinking. It colors easily and keeps forever. When I use it for flowers, I always add 1 tsp. of Tylose powder to 12 oz. of fondant. That makes the flowers dry faster and hold their shapes better.
I think everyone has there favorites for different things and it's just a matter of finding the recipe that works best for you.
If you want lots of neat ideas for flowers, just look on the Flickr Photostreams. The pictures are endless.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:01pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiee70

Hi,

This is a recipe for fondant with ingredients you can find at any supermarket

Homemade FONDANT

2 pounds of icing sugar
1 envelope of Unflavored Gelatine (i use KNOX )
1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of syrop KARO
1 teaspoon of flavor (vanilla, rum)

Disolve the gelatin in the ¼ cup of water and let it rest for 5 minuts. Set a double boiler (Maria bath) and mix in it the gelatine with the syrop Karo and the flavor, until they are well mixed (donât let it boil).
Divide the 2 pounds or icing sugar in two equal portions ( 1 pound and 1 pound)
In a mixer put the gelatin-syrop mix, and add 1 pound of sugar. Mix until form a cream..
In your countertop put the other 1 of sugar and knead with the cream.. Knead, knead, knead⦠until is white.
Keep it in a close bag to storage at room temperature for 2 -3 days.

Kharvey if you have to make any modifications so it can be more clear, feel free to do it,

this seems like a simpler recipe compared to the other ones i've seen. can you make flowers with it? cover a cake? does it dry quickly?
thanks for sharing this!

zamku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zamku Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:07pm
post #15 of 18

How long do your flowers stay on the cupcakes? They are so pretty. Mine start to melt after about 2 hours.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #16 of 18

i tried the recipe above but it's so sticky. i added more PS, still sticky. I added cornstarch it became too dry. I added shortening, it is still too dry. *sigh* i dunno what to do. maybe i'll just try another fondant recipe.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #17 of 18

jackiee70-

Is icing sugar the same as powered sugar?

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:26pm
post #18 of 18

icing sugar is the same as powdered.confectionars sugar

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%