What The Heck Am I Doing Wrong?!?!

Decorating By holoien003 Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm by IrisC

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:56am
post #1 of 8

I can't seem to get fluffy good tasting cakes recently! I guess my first problem is dense cakes/cupcakes and my second problem is that there seems to be no "taste" (which may be a direct result of my first problem)

Can my cake flour be bad? or am I putting too much batter in my cupcake trays/cake pans?

Thanks in Advance icon_biggrin.gif [/i]

7 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:54am
post #2 of 8

Check your baking powder/soda. Those need to be replaced about every 6 months. Are you creaming your butter long enough? I do mine for about 3-5 mins and never have unfluffy cakes.

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:11am
post #3 of 8

i cream my butter for like 5 to 7 minw until its really really fluffy your cakes will come out perfect!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:13am
post #4 of 8

Are you using the no transfat shortenings? It bakes up quite inferior.

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 8

My baking powder is definitely past the 6 month mark, so i'll try new powder and also try creaming my butter longer. I crisco for shortening or unsalted butter (depending on the recipe).

Thanks for all your tips, i'll try them out.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #6 of 8

If you are following a cake recipe from a cake flour box like I do I recommend at least doubling the flavoring. 1/2t of flavoring just doesn't do the job in an entire cake!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:11am
post #7 of 8

Oh I always AT LEAST double the flavoring "suggested" in a recipe. No such thing as too much vanilla! thumbs_up.gif

IrisC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IrisC Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 8

You need to cream the butter first, then add the sugar and cream them very well, add a flavor depending on the recipe u can add 1 tsp of vanilla, add the eggs beat them, add the flour (self rising flour) and milk, start with flour and end with flour.Do not mix too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%