Fruitcake Without Peel Nuts And Cherries.

Baking By Briarview Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 12:39am by FromScratch

Briarview Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #1 of 12

Is there someone who can help me with a recipe without the above ingredients for a fruitcake. I have made the fruitcakes in the past but find the cake to be a bit on the dry side. Has anyone got a moist recipe or any suggestions as to how to make a moist fruitcake. Thanks

11 replies
JoAnnB Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #2 of 12

Check out foodnetwork.com for Alton Brown's fruit cake. It is terrific.

Briarview Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:11am
post #3 of 12

Checked on the foodnetwork.com for Alton Brown's fruit cake but could not find it. Would you be able to post the link. Thanks

Eliza Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:13am
post #4 of 12

MissBaritone post a recipe in this thread, without peel, nuts and cherries. Hope it will help you

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-6258-fruitcake.html

Briarview Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:29am
post #5 of 12

Thank you Eliza, I presume you mean the Dundee Cake as I don't want peel and cherries in the cake.

Eliza Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:47am
post #6 of 12

Yes, it is the Dundee cake.

Eliza Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:05am
post #7 of 12

Hi,

I found this one in one of my recipe books:

Light Fruitcake:

225g butter or margarine
225g sugar
5 eggs, beaten
360g flour
10 ml lemon juice
450g fruit mix
5 ml baking-powder

In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beat well. Add remaining ingredients, beat well. Spoon mixture into a greased and lined, 20cm-diameter, round cake pan. 150 C one-and-a-half to two hours or until skewer inserted into center comes out clean.
serves 15 to 20

mgigglin Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:51am
post #8 of 12

I got rave reviews from a dark fruit cake recipe that I found on epicurious.com I took many tips and ideas from the reviews and substituted out the candied cherries and put in dried apricots,pineapple, and cherries (not candied). I also soaked this cake in a cheesecloth soaked in brandy! Oh man... was it yummy! I can't wait to make them early Nov so they will be ready and soaked for Christmas this year! Ohhhh now I'm craving one! Oh and did I mention how moist they are!??! Unbelievably moist!
You have to try it!

HTH,
Kim

JoAnnB Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 12

here is the link to the Alton Brown recipe. Substitute almost any ingredient for another.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/free-range-fruitcake-recipe/index.html

FromScratch Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 12

Ooooh Kim.. I just read that recipe and it sounds really good. I will definitely give it a whirl. When you make this.. do you soak your dried fruits in liquor? How long do you soak them in the soaked cheese cloth? I am a fruit cake virgin so any guidance would be great! I can't believe I am excited about fruit cake.. icon_lol.gif.

mgigglin Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 12

Jeanne,

This is by far a super simple recipe to use! I even wrote a review if you look at the reviews on it... lol!! I didn't soak the dried fruit at all but you can and if I remember correctly overnight is fine. This is what I did: when the cakes came out of the oven I did pour some Brandy on the top and let it soak in that way. While they were cooling, I would take the cheesecloth and cut it appropriately and just let it soak in a cup of Brandy. When the cake was cool, I took the cheesecloth and wrapped it all around the cake leaving no open spaces... you want it all to be yummy and drunk! icon_lol.gif Then wrap it in foil and put it in a dark corner and forget about it... well at least for a few days... I did mine a quick version and every 3 days I ould pour Brandy over the cloth and resoak it and let it set again. I only did that for about 7 days. I actually forgot about one loaf I had sitting in that dark corner and found it 2 months later..... oohhhh mannnn it was the bomb!!!!! It was still moist and scrumptious!! Needless to say it didn't last long after I found it! So this year I plan on making them a bit earier for maximum soaking!! icon_lol.gif Be creative put in it what you like as far as dried fruits and you won't be sorry!!

Kim

FromScratch Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:39am
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much Kim.. I can't wait to give it a whirl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%