What Happened???

Decorating By BOOTNEYBOO1 Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 4:18am by MacsMom

BOOTNEYBOO1 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 7

Ok...This is my first pillow cake I thought it came out pretty good...until it got to the catering hall. The middle pillow I decided I would put half blue fondant and airbrush and white fondant for the bottom. All the other pillows were covered in fondant. Well...when I got to the hall the white flipped off the cake and wouldnt stay on and I winded up having some extra butter cream and that kept it but I was so disappointed. Thank god it was for my neice and they were so understanding. Does anyone know what I could have done so that would have not happened. Should I have overlaped it a bit with the blue fondant? Was the cake too soft??? I also notice the bottom layer was looking a little smooched. Did I need more dowels? Please help me so that this doesnt happen again.
LL

6 replies
DianeLM Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 7

Looks like there wasn't enough support for the 2 inches of white fondant folded up the side.

Alternatives that would have worked: Cover the whole cake in white fondant, then add a thin layer of blue over the top... OR ...Cover the whole cake in blue fondant and glue a thin strip of white fondant on top of the blue.

Otherwise, it's a beautiful cake! Great save, too.

krystyne_wilson Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 7

I think it looks wonderful and would've loved to have had a cake like this on my Sweet 16!

It must've been a GREAT save because I can't really see what you're talking about!

sweettoothmom Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 7

In the pics it looks gorgeous. I love it. So delicate and pretty. Perfect for a sweet 16.

MacsMom Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:48am
post #5 of 7

You did a fantastic job! My first pillow was an awful experience, but after the first one they got easier. I wrap the whole pillow in fondant. There ends up being small folds on the bottom side, but you can't see them.

sweettoothmom Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:34am
post #6 of 7

Macsmom,
wouldnt folding the fondant under the pillow look more billowy (new word)?
And dont we all just love those big fluffy billowy pillows? So I think that is a wonderful idea.

Thanks for sharing it.

MacsMom Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:18am
post #7 of 7

Not really. The fondant sticks to the BC on the underside of the pillow, and you can smooth it pretty well. It folds only a little on the very bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%