Piping Practice

Decorating By tiamariad Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 12:57am by jibbies

tiamariad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiamariad Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 7

I've seen these ready made kits for practicing piping but they look very basic, are there any instructors that could tell me how they would get someone to practice stringwork, can I make my own kit that I would be able to use to practice as there are no classes available near to me where I can be taught.

Any suggestions please.

6 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 7

You need to get your basics down first and then move on to more difficult work. (maybe you already have done this)

I learned mine years ago through Wilton books and then practice. Now I'm trying harder things like some of the British cakes have on them and the Sugarcraft series of books - 1, 2, &3 are very good. Toba Garrett has good piping in her books and of course there is the holy grail- The Lambeth books from the 1930's and the reprints from the 80's. I'm waiting for my copy of the 30's edition and hope it's worth the beaucoup bucks I paid for it. I hear it is. And then I'm just going to pipe my little heart out and practice practice practice.

I'm sure someone else here has better suggestions for you. icon_smile.gif

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 7

Hello Tia

The Wilton Yearbooks have most everything included in their course books all in one. If you search thru the centre pages, you will find all these instructions. If you are quite new, you should find this helpful. Their website can help too. HTH

A.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 7

I have Toba Garrett's Professional Cake Decorating book. It's great for teaching advanced piping skills and stringwork. It's a little bit spendier that some of the other instructional books, but it covers a lot of topics, not just piping, but figure and flower making, brush embroidery, etc. It's a great book.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 7

If I'm reading your post correctly you want to make your own practice board. If you have a Wal-Mart they sell clear heavy vinyl. buy a yard get a couple of inexpensive cookie sheets and attach the vinyl to one long side of the sheet. on plain paper draw straight lines, wavy lines and circles that mimic the top edge of a cake. place the paper design up under the vinyl and use round tips to make lines, practice writing and balls. Use the star tips to practice shells and rosettes. you can placce the practice board flat to mimic the top of a cake and at a 90 degree angle to mimic the side of a cake to practice drop strings. If you need any more help don't hesitate to pm me thumbs_up.gif
Hope this helps

Jibbies

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:42am
post #6 of 7

Jibbies what a great idea to cover the cookie sheets with vinyl. I am going out this weekend to do this....what a great way to practice.

My writing is awful, this will be very helpful!!

Thanks for the tip!!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:57am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLev557

Jibbies what a great idea to cover the cookie sheets with vinyl. I am going out this weekend to do this....what a great way to practice.

My writing is awful, this will be very helpful!!

Thanks for the tip!!

Thanks! I used to be a Wilton Method Instructor back in the day (early 90's) One tip to help with your writing, don't just use your hand and wrist like when you are writing with a pen or pencil. Use your whole arm from the shoulder dow It makes a huge difference!

Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%