Dream Whip

Decorating By ebear Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 1:12am by lorrieg

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all...Has anyone ever iced a cake with Dream whip? (the powdered kind you whip up yourself)
I'm making my sister a cake and she doesn't like buttercream too much (she's put off by all shortening/butter)
The dreamwhip tastes yummy and isn't overly sweet. I'm just not sure how it would hold up.

TIA.. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 8

It should be okay. You could do real whipped cream with a packet of stabilizer in it. Here you can get those in the baking aisle near the packets of vanilla sugar.

My mom used to do a whipped cream icing with gelatin in it. The only instructions I have say- gelatin not jello, whipped cream x2, cherries, sugar, vanilla, almonds, pineapple, marshmallows and coconut. I think she used to mix those up and ice an angel food cake with them. We used to call it the $5 cake in the 70's. It was sooooo good.

You might have to make the gelatin "bloom" first. I'm sure there is a pastry chef on here that would know.

ebear Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 8

Hi...thanks for the info.

I'm from the GTA and I've seen the stablizer in the baking section.
I think the Dreamwhip should be fine..I hope..its not too sweet and no shortening...LOL

lorrieg Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 8

I was born in Brampton and lived there for the first 30 years of my life. icon_lol.gif It's a little calmer here.

Dream whip is VERY sweet IMO. What about that stuff you whip in the dairy case? Is it nutriwhip?

ebear Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 8

LOL...parts of Brampton are okay..but I guess living out there would be alot calmer.. icon_biggrin.gif
Dreamwhip is sweet but I find it not as sweet as BC and a whole lot lighter. I've never tried Nutriwhip but I do know someone that swears by it. Ices all of her cakes with it and even pipes with it..
I just thought since I had the Dreamwhip handy I'd use it...

lorrieg Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 8

You could always put a pinch of salt in it to take away a bit of the sweetness but I'd use what you have. Try buttercream with dream whip in it- that's really sweet. icon_razz.gif (yes indydebi, I know icing IS sweet icon_lol.gif )

Brampton was 5,000 people when I was born there. It was about 100,000 when I left. Isnt it about 20 million now? icon_eek.gif Only 9100 here where I live....

ebear Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 8

Its definately a growing city...20 million sounds about right... icon_lol.gif
The salt idea is a good idea..I would never have thought of that..Thanks.
My sister is just really put off by the shortening in BC...it really is gross when you think of it... icon_eek.gif I found a recipe on here that uses marshmallow fluff in it and butter (I think) and thought that sounded yummy. The recipe also said you could pipe with it so I may do a combo of them both..
Ouch! My tooth is starting to ache thinking of it.. icon_biggrin.gif The cake will also have chocolate on it too....

lorrieg Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #8 of 8

Maybe you should have the paramedics ready. What a way to go! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%