This Young Generation Not Knowing Classics!

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 1:54am by Deb_

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:21pm
post #91 of 147

Yes, it was Dark Shadows. It was really just a soap opera, but we didn't care! It was remade in the 80's for a season or two...it wasn't the same.

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:26pm
post #92 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

Does anyone remeber the vampire TV show on in the lae 70's? I cant remember the name of it. Dark Shadows keeps coming to mind but I cant remember if that was it or not. My grandfather used to stay up late and watch it and I would creep quietly in and sit next to his chair where I thought he couldnt see me to watch with him. One night I got so scared I jumped and he reached down and rubbed the top of my head. Not a word was spoke just that reassuring love pat ont he top of my head.

That is such a great memory of your grandpa. I don't remember the vampire show but it jogged my memory of Science Fiction Theater on Sunday afternoons. I never missed it.

I just remembered an episode of the Twilight Zone: it was a diner in the middle of nowhere and "something" had crashed nearby. Everyone's talking about it being a UFO and then they start talking about aliens and how ugly they are. There's a man dressed nicely wearing a hat at the counter joining in the conversation and saying things like you never know what these aliens may look like and that they may already be amongst us, blah, blah. At this point, he picks up his cup of coffee with one hand, his second hand pulls a pack of cigarettes out of his coat pocket, and a THIRD hand pulls out a lighter from another pocket!! He puts his coffee cup down and takes off his hat and he's got a THIRD eye in the middle of his forehead!! It totally FREAKED me out!!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:52pm
post #93 of 147

I guess my parents raised me with a complete pop culture education. I'm 27 and I LOVE the Beatles - "A Hard Day's Night" is one of my all-time favorite movies. I grew up watching re-runs of "Andy Griffith", "Gomer Pyle", "The Beverly Hillbillies", "I Love Lucy" etc. My parents even schooled me in the philosophy of black-and-white-episodes-are-always-superior-to-color-episodes. We watched the Marx Brothers and the Three Stooges, and when I saw "Back to the Future" as a kid I actually got the Chuck Berry reference at the end.

I always kind of wished I had grown up in the 50's and 60's instead of the 80's and 90's. Especially when I began to understand that as time goes on it seems that people care less and less about quality of entertainment and more and more about the mass production of it.

When I have kids, they may not have a clue as to what "High School Musical" is, but they darn well will appreciate Alfred Hitchcock!

(Btw, one of my most cherished childhood memories is getting in bed with my mom on Saturday nights and watching "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".)

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #94 of 147

You know talk about classics...look back at the wedding cakes and birthday cakes of the just the 60's......

Not only the style of cakes but the equipment growth.....I still like the traditional separated layers and icing roses.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm
post #95 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

So yesterday was my nephew's birthday and I did a Taz cake for him. OMG - the kids (my other nephews and my sister's nephew) didn't know who he was!

Kids! icon_lol.gif

I know what you mean. When my son was in 9th grade his History techer asked them if they knew who discovered america, of course every kid knows this, but he was smiling when he asked them. So my son raised his hand to ask if it was a joke or a serious question, and the teacher said, "Joke" so my son said "Bugs Bunny" and the teacher was laughing, but mostly because he was the only one who knew what he was talking about.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:08pm
post #96 of 147

My husbands almost two years older than me, yet there a great many times I say, "You're kidding me....you don't know who/what ........."

I grew up like txcupcake. I love "oldies" music and the black and white movies on late at night. I also listen to old mexican music, too. My husband just rolls his eyes. I taught my 4 year old to jitterbug and do the Charleston and nothing is better than watching old Tom & Jerry, Felix the Cat, Betty Boop etc. cartoons with her Saturday morning. She loves nursery rhymes - she'll recite them and my husband has no CLUE what she's talking about. How do you not know nursery rhymes?!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #97 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

when i worked in corporate america, I would frequently be seen walking down the aisles with my head thrown back in dispair, crying out, "I am surrounded by CHILDREN!!!" These college grads had no idea who Vincent Price was, and the ONE person who had heard of him, said, "Oh you know who he is! He's the voice on the Michael Jackson Thriller video!" aaaauuugggghhhhh!!!! They've no idea the term "Big Brother" came from the book "1984" because they've no idea what the book is about!!

My 16 year old was shocked, just last night, to find out the current song of "Eli's Coming", that is being played for Eli Manning (football - his brother is Indpls Colt's Peyton Manning) is taken from Three Dog Night's song "Eli's COming" from her mama's day in the 70's!!

A few years ago, some country singer did a remake of the song "These Boots Are Made for Walkin' " .... my warehouse clerk thought it was a cool song and I said, "Oh, you listen to oldies?" She said, No, it was a new song. So I had to explain it was a song from the 60's by Nancy Sinatra ("Who's Nancy SInatra?") and the boots in the song were Go-Go boots ("What are go-go boots?")

aaaaauuuugggghhhhh!!!! I am SURROUNDED by CHILDREN!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

I'm guessing that Nancy Sinatra was related to Frank Sinatra in some way. And are teh go-go boots the platform boots that they wore with mini skirts? icon_lol.gif I have heard of that book but have no idea what it's about and didn't know that's where the term "big brother" comes from.

Everything else you mentioned I haven't a clue. icon_redface.gif

OMG I feel 100 years old. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

CakeMakar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #98 of 147
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

I'm guessing that Nancy Sinatra was related to Frank Sinatra in some way. And are teh go-go boots the platform boots that they wore with mini skirts? icon_lol.gif I have heard of that book but have no idea what it's about and didn't know that's where the term "big brother" comes from.

Everything else you mentioned I haven't a clue. icon_redface.gif

aaauuugggghhhhh! I *AM* the Old Lady on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Nancy Sinatra was Frank's daughter....she appeared in a movie with Elvis. She tried to make a go of it in Hollywood based on Daddy's name, but she just never quite got there.

The go-go boots were the white boots worn with mini-skirts in the 60's .... I wouldn't call them platforms but they did tend to have a 2" heel or more. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30087170@N00/2104437118/ (I owned a pair with kinda flat heels when I was in 2nd grade!!! Man, I thought I was the big IT!!!)

"Big Brother is Watching" comes from 1984, written by George Orwell, in 1949 about futuristic world where the gov't controls everything. The word "Thought Police" was also coined in this book, along with describing a loss of privacy to govt's attempt to control everything as "Orwellian". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four
Orwell was ahead of his time ... it's actually scary to realize that so much of what he wrote is here and we're dealing with it now. I consider this book top of the list on the "must read" list if you want to be a well rounded, informed person. (The wanna-be-English-teacher in me!)

I should have my own forum on here of "History Lessons You Need to Know"! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I agree, 1984 was an amazing book. Quite scary how much he got "right." Though I must admit, I love books but I only read it cause it was required in HS. It's now on my bookshelf of favorite books, however.

Coulda done without reading Julius Ceasar, though! icon_confused.gif

loriemoms Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:15pm
post #99 of 147

Billy Jack. I bet there isn't a single person under 30..maybe 40 who knows who Billy Jack was...(or is)

CakeMakar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:26pm
post #100 of 147
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

Of course, there is always the story of when I went back to school at 27 yrs old and was sitting in the English Lit Class and the teacher asked one of the kids if he could quote any of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream". He said "Oh yeah, I think I read about him in my history class. Didn't he have something to do with equal rights?"

oh! Oh! Oh! I have another one!!!

Talking to a friend who was telling me he was taking a night class and of course since it was a night class, it was full of older folks. The subject of "The Beatles" came up and one young man said, "Who are The Beatles?" Well, everyone started to laugh and the young man tried to backpedal with "Oh! Right! The Beatles! Paul McCartney's first back-up band!"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I mean what planet are you living on if you don't know who The Beatles are!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

One of the interns on the local morning radio show were playing a game and she had no idea who the Beatles were!!!! They were picking on her something fierce! It was hilarious...you would think especially as a radio personality you'd know some (fairly recent) music history?!

I like to call my friend "Little Lord Fauntleroy," he finally had to look it up one day and now forbids me to call him that. icon_biggrin.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:30pm
post #101 of 147

I bought a house 5 years ago which was built in 1897. When entering the house, I had the feeling, not just what it must have been like in 1897...but for all of the people who had lived there since then. I have 3 spare bedrooms upstairs, one is now furnished with furniture from 1897 including clothing in the closet, make up, purse, shoes,hats, magazines, movie posters and news bulletins. The 2nd room is "1927" and has the same items only from that year. The 3rd room is "1957" and again has the same items only from a different period of time. Each room has music from that period also, as well as classic movies and books.
My 18 year old grandson lives with me and is always bringing his teen friends over. Each time they come to the house for the first time, they have to do the tour and are completely awestruck realizing just how much our lives have changed over the past 100 years. They had never even stopped to think about it before. Somehow reading it in history fails to bring it to true life.
I am thinking about contacting the schools and let the students tour the house, so they can get the feel of what life has been.

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:38pm
post #102 of 147
Quote:

I have to say there are too many teachers etc involved in our childresn lives for one reason the paycheck and summers off. Teach your children you are truely thier only hope to know our history. My children are lucky to have great teachers who strive to make each child involved and interested. And it is a public school on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak......

My feelings are hurt! icon_wink.gif I am a PUBLIC school teacher, have taught fourth grade for 9 years, and must say that my students knew history when they left me and my classroom at the end of the year. Generally, most of my students would say that history was their least favorite subject in my "beginning of the school year student survey", and by the end of the year, when I gave the same survey, most of them said history was their favorite. While one of my personal philosophies about education is that education begins in the home, (and should continue in the home), there are really good teachers out their who are interested in much more than a paycheck and a summer off... TRUST ME! The pay isn't that great, even with a master's degree, and I haven't had a "summer off" in I don't know when! icon_wink.gif The really good teachers continue to learn too...

CakeMakar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #103 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I bought a house 5 years ago which was built in 1897. When entering the house, I had the feeling, not just what it must have been like in 1897...but for all of the people who had lived there since then. I have 3 spare bedrooms upstairs, one is now furnished with furniture from 1897 including clothing in the closet, make up, purse, shoes,hats, magazines, movie posters and news bulletins. The 2nd room is "1927" and has the same items only from that year. The 3rd room is "1957" and again has the same items only from a different period of time. Each room has music from that period also, as well as classic movies and books.
My 18 year old grandson lives with me and is always bringing his teen friends over. Each time they come to the house for the first time, they have to do the tour and are completely awestruck realizing just how much our lives have changed over the past 100 years. They had never even stopped to think about it before. Somehow reading it in history fails to bring it to true life.
I am thinking about contacting the schools and let the students tour the house, so they can get the feel of what life has been.

That would be so cool! I strongly encourage it!
One of my favorite trips in school was to a "village" that they had you dress in period clothes, do chores, and go to school like they would have then. It was awesome!
All my history I got from my mom, her telling me what used to be and looking at old pictures. She always took me to museums, the library, the theater (as in a real one...with actors). We had a collection of records & an 8 track player. My mom still has a VCR! I have a record player and my daughter listens to the same records I used to. (She loves the Chipmunks!)
I only hope I can instill in my kids the same understanding and appreciation.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:21pm
post #104 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Billy Jack. I bet there isn't a single person under 30..maybe 40 who knows who Billy Jack was...(or is)

My mom taught me "One Tin Soldier" when I was seven years old. It still makes me cry when I hear it.

(I'm 27.)

loriemoms Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:44pm
post #105 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

Quote:

My mom taught me "One Tin Soldier" when I was seven years old. It still makes me cry when I hear it.

(I'm 27.)

Me too. I can't remember last time I heard it..they don't play it on the oldies station.

Someone posted on here how they wish they had grown up in the 50s and 60s. I am afraid someone has romantized it way too much for them.
I found growing up in the 60;s very scary. There always seem to be an air of fear, that the bomb was going to drop any minute or we are all going to die from some sort of violent act. Aside from the Cuban crisis, a lot of things were too close to home. I know now everyone is afraid of another 9-11 but I was living on 16th street in DC when MLK was murdered and it was horrible. It was like living in a war zone. What was once a beautiful city was destroyed in days and I don't think will ever be the same My dad was so fed up, he moved to California and I went with him. The following year, we couldn't take the school bus anymore becuase the zodiac killer had threatened to kidnap a school bus and kill all the children. Then there was Angela Davis and The Sharon Tate murders...I was glad to move back to the east coast, where I got to wait in long gas lines (my day was even days..does anyone remember theirs?) getting up at 3 am so I could fill my gremlin (yes, I had a gremlin!) up with gas so I could go to school. Back then paying 1 dollar a gallon was just as bad as paying 6 dollars a gallon today. You couldn't buy a house, because interest rates were at 12 percent. It just seemed like every day, one of our heros was being shot by some crazy person, that another american dream was dead. I have many friends who went to vietnam, who came back thinking they were lucky, and yet were spit on when walking down the street. I have one friend who still cannot sleep wit his back against the wall. He was a great hero, as he helped the evacuation and was shot in the leg several times while lifting people onto helicopters. Yes, the music was good, entertainment was pure, and people I think truely cared for each other. Otherwise, we would have never survived. And I think it made us all better people. I will never forget Kent State or the Munic Olympics.

Do y'all find it amazing as I do how young people today are listening to our music? Maybe the artist of today just don't have the same kind of inspiration we had?

And btw, I did attend a number of smoke-ins, and was arrested for handcuffing myself to an embassy to free POWs and even attended a sit in to raise the voting age to 18...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:18am
post #106 of 147
Quote:

And btw, I did attend a number of smoke-ins, and was arrested for handcuffing myself to an embassy to free POWs and even attended a sit in to raise the voting age to 18...

No wonder I just luv you! I helped organize a sit-in at my high-school. We even got parents to show up to support us! (see? I've always been mouthy in everything I've ever done! icon_lol.gif )

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #107 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by knel

Quote:

I have to say there are too many teachers etc involved in our childresn lives for one reason the paycheck and summers off. Teach your children you are truely thier only hope to know our history. My children are lucky to have great teachers who strive to make each child involved and interested. And it is a public school on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak......

My feelings are hurt! icon_wink.gif I am a PUBLIC school teacher, have taught fourth grade for 9 years, and must say that my students knew history when they left me and my classroom at the end of the year. Generally, most of my students would say that history was their least favorite subject in my "beginning of the school year student survey", and by the end of the year, when I gave the same survey, most of them said history was their favorite. While one of my personal philosophies about education is that education begins in the home, (and should continue in the home), there are really good teachers out their who are interested in much more than a paycheck and a summer off... TRUST ME! The pay isn't that great, even with a master's degree, and I haven't had a "summer off" in I don't know when! icon_wink.gif The really good teachers continue to learn too...

Knel....please don't take that personally, I don't think the post meant to include ALL teachers. I do agree 100% with you that education begins in the home.
I remember when my son was entering the 5th grade (he's a freshman in college now), we received a card during the summer with the name of his teacher. My neighbor gasped when she saw who it was. She said she went to the school and requested that her child NOT be put in this teacher's class. I asked why. She said "she gives way too much homework and expects way too much from her students". I thought to myself THAT'S EXACTLY THE KIND OF TEACHER I WANT MY SON TO HAVE!
I will tell you that she was tough, expected her students to give 110% all of the time and in turn she did the same. My son made great strides that year, she did things with that class that I had never experienced before or after with any other teacher. At the end of the year each child was sent home with a scrapbook that she personally made of their best work, and pictures of them that she took and developed, doing different plays, and activities. If you ask Shawn today who his favorite teacher was he would say definitely my 5th grade teacher Dr. Harrop. I'm soooooo glad I didn't foolishly rush to the school and request a different teacher.

Teacher's have one of the most important jobs in this country and unfortunately, sometimes they are under-appreciated. I appreciate everything all my children's teachers did for them. Thank you for doing all that you do and for giving so much of yourself to our children thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

loriemoms Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:32am
post #108 of 147
Quote:

Quote:

No wonder I just luv you! I helped organize a sit-in at my high-school. We even got parents to show up to support us! (see? I've always been mouthy in everything I've ever done! icon_lol.gif )

haha! I went to a sit-in to stop war taxes, and we WANTED to get arrested so that it would appear in the papers. Back then, if you were under 18, you weren't finger printed and you were just released to your parents. I told my parents I was going to this protest and they were very supportive! We didn't get arrested, but we did get our cause on the evening news!! I think I still have my Stop War Taxes button somewhere...and my Dick is a Crook button! hahahaha!

I guess kids cant do these kinds of things these days..

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:17am
post #109 of 147
Quote:

haha! I went to a sit-in to stop war taxes, and we WANTED to get arrested so that it would appear in the papers. Back then, if you were under 18, you weren't finger printed and you were just released to your parents. I told my parents I was going to this protest and they were very supportive! We didn't get arrested, but we did get our cause on the evening news!! I think I still have my Stop War Taxes button somewhere...and my Dick is a Crook button! hahahaha!

Nope! Nowadays, they'd have a felony arrest and be of "special interest" to Homeland Security.

loriemoms Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:39am
post #110 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujalita

Quote:

Nope! Nowadays, they'd have a felony arrest and be of "special interest" to Homeland Security.

It is sad...I guess all kids can do today is write blogs?

GeminiRJ Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:49am
post #111 of 147

I was in a number of college classes with a woman a bit older than me. She was from the South and from a military family and going back to college. Her father was a high ranking officer. When she had originally gone to college, she went to a protest against the Vietnam war with her boyfriend. She was kinda short, and couldn't see so her boyfriend had her sit on his shoulders. She had on a T-shirt with a slogan telling people what they could do with the war and where to put it. She didn't give a thought to those TV vans, and the fact that they were national press. Her dad (many states away) wasn't too happy when a guest at his dinner party that night looked at the TV and asked, "Isn't that your daughter?"

loriemoms Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:06pm
post #112 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I was in a number of college classes with a woman a bit older than me. She was from the South and from a military family and going back to college. Her father was a high ranking officer. When she had originally gone to college, she went to a protest against the Vietnam war with her boyfriend. She was kinda short, and couldn't see so her boyfriend had her sit on his shoulders. She had on a T-shirt with a slogan telling people what they could do with the war and where to put it. She didn't give a thought to those TV vans, and the fact that they were national press. Her dad (many states away) wasn't too happy when a guest at his dinner party that night looked at the TV and asked, "Isn't that your daughter?"

oh man! I bet she got a good talking to!!

GeminiRJ Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:39pm
post #113 of 147

Yeah, she said her dad wasn't too happy with her! It didn't help that she stuck out like a sore thumb, being up on her boyfriend's shoulders like she was....you couldn't miss her.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:03pm
post #114 of 147

okay i know this will show that i'm not that old but as the post started out complaining that no one seemed to know cartoon characters here's my story...my kids were watching this cartoon show and commented on how much they loved it so i look over expecting pokemon or something like it and it was...THE RACOONS!! i mean, i watched that show (kindof making caring for the environment cool) when i was their age! i had no idea it was being rerun (retro toons station) so it was funny to see how caught up they were getting lol

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:12pm
post #115 of 147

The only new cartoon I like is SpongeBob. And I realized recently it was because this cartoon makes me laugh ... just like Bugs Bunny, Tom&Jerry, Roadrunner and all the other classics. The new cartoons are just mini-dramas in cartoon format. They're not funny. They're not CARTOONS .... they are just like Law and Order, CSI, and Swingtown, except they're in cartoon format. They are not FUNNY!!! They don't make me burst out laughing like the "real" cartoons do. They tend to have some serious life-lesson to teach kids.

When I blob on the couch to watch cartoons .... now or when I was a kid .... I don't want to be taught why it's important to do homework or why I should recycle .... I want to be entertained and I want to just laugh!!

I think that's the big difference ... besides the obvious lack of talent it takes to make these ugly looking cartoons that have the appearance of being drawn with a big pencil!

loriemoms Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:14pm
post #116 of 147

speaking of cartoons, a friend of mine told me when he was stationed in some little town near russia, all the women sounded like Natasha. So he would sit in the bars and asked the waitresses to say "Get the moose and squrrel" and things like that. They would all burst out laughing and the waistresses never quite understood why...

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:21pm
post #117 of 147

My parents actually bought my daughter (2) and son (almost 1 now) the "150 Classic Cartoon" DVD set for Christmas last year. It has the classic shows of Woody Woodpecker, B&W Mickey Mouse, etc. DS doesn't really understand what's going on, but enjoys the music in between episodes. My DD however actually wants to watch some of the cartoons. There's actually cartoons on there that I've never heard of (old cartoons/shows were played constantly when I was growing up). I'm 26 now. Carol Burnett, Sunny & Cher Show, and Laverne & Shirley were some of my favorite shows growing up thanks to Mama.

Dad used to have us watch teh Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights- I loved it when they showed "Pete's Dragon." I'm getting nostalgic now.

"There was Springstein, Madonna, Way before Nirvana, there was U2 and Blondie, and music still on MTV. Her two kids in highschool, they tell her that she's uncool cuz she's still preoccupied with 19, 1985...." I love that song by Bowl of Soup. It's called "1985." I remember and loved all the stuff in the late 80's when I could understand and appreciate it ( I was only 4 in 1985= much more mature icon_wink.gif five years later).

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:11pm
post #118 of 147

Ok, I will start out by saying that I am a child of the 80's, (and yes the remakes of MY cartoons make me mad!!) I know who the Beatles, Johnny Cash and Nancy Sinatra are. I have read 1984 and loved it. I have a BFA in Theater(with live actors! icon_smile.gif) and love the live arts, going to museums and traveling. I grew up listening to Bill Cosby records and Alvin and the Chipmunks. Just last night my DH and I were hanging out with friends discussing all of the great TV shows of the past that most of our own friends have no clue about. We are collecting all of our favorite 80's cartoons along with all of the classics for when we have kids. I love Alfred Hitchcock and even had a slumber party when I was 13 featuring only his movies. I prefer to original "fairy tales" to the Disney versions, and will be reading those to my children. We play the "oldie's" channel at work and my co-workers are always amazed as I sing along. And yes, I know what 45's and 8 tracks are! icon_smile.gif (Now if I could only figure out these darn Mp3's!! lol) Although, I will admit, my mom and I were at a flea market and she found an old clip for a 45 and I had no clue what it was!

Now lets sing along...
I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill, and I'm sitting here on capitol hill... icon_biggrin.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:28pm
post #119 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Yes, it was Dark Shadows. It was really just a soap opera, but we didn't care! It was remade in the 80's for a season or two...it wasn't the same.

I just loved it. That is too bad it didnt carry on for long. I guess it was before its time. Buffy did quite well icon_smile.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:33pm
post #120 of 147
Quote:

The only new cartoon I like is SpongeBob. And I realized recently it was because this cartoon makes me laugh ... just like Bugs Bunny, Tom&Jerry, Roadrunner and all the other classics. The new cartoons are just mini-dramas in cartoon format. They're not funny. They're not CARTOONS .... they are just like Law and Order, CSI, and Swingtown, except they're in cartoon format. They are not FUNNY!!! They don't make me burst out laughing like the "real" cartoons do. They tend to have some serious life-lesson to teach kids.

When I blob on the couch to watch cartoons .... now or when I was a kid .... I don't want to be taught why it's important to do homework or why I should recycle .... I want to be entertained and I want to just laugh!!

I think that's the big difference ... besides the obvious lack of talent it takes to make these ugly looking cartoons that have the appearance of being drawn with a big pencil!

Yes Cartoons now are not cartoons they are short animated films. No laughter, no thought, no creativity unless it is a sponge dating a squirrel underwater. I cant even imagine how that would work. AHHHHHH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%