Best Fondant And Buttercream For Underneath?

Baking By Callyssa Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 2:06am by Callyssa

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone! I'm a complete novice and newbie, so I apologize up front for asking what's probably been asked a million times icon_redface.gif

I'm making fondant for the first time (I've never even tasted fondant before!) so I want to make sure the recipe I use is one that most people find appealing. I also don't know which type of buttercream to use underneath the fondant? I assume it should be a thicker consistency, but again, I have no clue!

I will be covering the WASC recipe (today) I've read about here; it's baking right now and smells delicious, I can't wait to try it!

Thank you in advance for your help, and I will try my best not to be an annoying "newbie"

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif !

Christine

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 4

nah, newbies aren't annoying......welcome to CC....we were all newbies at some point!

I just tried the WASC for a wedding cake recently and it WAS really good

I use mmf which is marshmallow fondant (recipe is in the recipe section here on CC)

as for buttercream, I just use my normal consistency I'd frost any ol' cake with.
If you like a not too too sweet buttercream but still on the sweet side (just not sickeningly sweet) try the "Buttercream for Frozen Transfers" recipe on here...it's really yummy and is a good all around recipe using half butter/half shortening so it crusts up really nicely enabling you to get a perfectlly smooth cake when paired up with the viva method (paper towels, who'd have thought?) or the melvira method (paint roller......again....pure genius).......you'll be amazed at what you'll learn from reading on here!!!!

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 4

LET your cake settle, though, before you put the fondant on it! Some people put a book on top of it for a bit. I let mine sit overnight.....other people can tell you what they do tooicon_smile.gif

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #4 of 4

Oops! I didn't realize I had to select the "watch topic for replies" on this forum! icon_redface.gif I'm sorry!

I loved the WASC recipe; it reminds me of angel food cake? I ended up using a buttercream recipe I found here and used Michelle Foster's fondant recipe. I don't care for icing much to begin with, and enjoyed the cake scraps by themselves, so paired with both BC and fondant felt it was entirely too sweet, but unlike so many people who can't stand fondant, I really enjoyed the texture! Does all fondant taste so sweet?

The only problem I ended up with was where I layered my cakes the fondant was very wet and sticky (but it was fairly sticky to begin with and since I've never used it didn't realize it's not supposed to be), and it also seemed that the BC soaked into the cake and made that fairly wet also. Of course, I was a little bit proud of my creation and wouldn't allow it to be cut into for three days; could that have been the problem?!

Again, I apologize for not thanking you sooner, I just assumed my post had gone unanswered! I do appreciate the help though and will use the tips you've provided. Thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%